Monday, June 20, 2011

06-20-11 Did You Write?

06-20-11 Did You Write?

It is that time of the week. It matters not whether you reply on Monday that I post this, or on Monday just before I post the next one. The idea is to report once a week, whatever day it is, as to what is going on in your life, and also important, whether you wrote or not.

While word count is a great way to measure the work you are doing, it has flaws. If you are editing, you can zap entire sections and replace them and come up with a quite meager word count. While editing, one can actually have negative word counts, and even do it on purpose.
When writing really tough sections, sometimes just coming up with the right word makes a difference so the word count could well be one word.

What is writing is fully up in the air. We all know that new writing is writing. Also editing is writing, even if it is the work of others. Critiquing is a form of editing so counts as writing. Poetry, blogging, article writing, writing assignments, technical writing, world and character creation are also writing. E-mails can also be writing if they are very wordy and pertain to story or writing. In essence, if you have to ask if it is writing, the answer is yes.

As for me, My writing time was quite interrupted by non-writing activities. I just added a few pages. I even removed half a page to change the path of the plot to be a bit more exciting. This is so much a better version. Something is actually happening.

On the story idea front, I have 43 story ideas in my compost pile. I generally grab the very top ideas from the stack so I don't get into the older ideas unless the ideas are not coming fast enough. there is always a disappointment when I am digging into older notes.

As to the question of the week,

I can say YES I DID WRITE (though not enough)


DID YOU WRITE?

No comments: