Monday, January 10, 2011

01-10-11 Did You Write?

01-10-11 Did You Write?

Ok, the season is over, Now is time to get back to work. Many among us never stopped or slowed only slightly in their writing. Others let their writing go for the season. Others slowed way down.
The hope that reporting to this note, sometime during the week, will be a prompt to get back into the swing of things, or to actually start writing in the first place.
To make this note more effective, one should post here each and every week, even if you don't write during the week. It will give you an excuse to want to say you wrote, and therefore have the prompt to actually open some work. How much you write is unimportant. If you write just one word, if it is the right word, then you wrote.

We all agree that new writing is writing. We should also agree that since none, or few, of us can write perfectly the first time, editing is writing, even if it is the work of someone else, is critiquing the work of someone else, are trying to cut down the word count of a project. Poetry, Technical writing, article writing, blogging, writing assignments, world and character development, and even E-mails as long as they are wordy and pertain to story or writing, are also writing. The rule of thumb is that if you have to ask if it is writing, the answer is yes. It makes reporting easier.

As for me, I can proudly say I wrote. While removing a few words here and there in random editing, I completely rewrote a section in hopes of zapping a lot of words. I only removed 130 words. Over all, I eliminated I eliminated 137 words this week. I was disappointed when I saw how little I removed. It is tighter, though.
I also decided to add a new concept to make the story easier. It runs on the edge of believability, but I think I can justify it. I only started applying it, but have more to do to the story. It will really make the ending easier to write.

On the story idea front, including what I am posting tonight, I have 50 story ideas in my compost pile. for those who are curious, one can go to http://www.xprodigy.net/board/index.php Go to Writer's Roost.
Or go directly at http://www.xprodigy.net/board/viewforum.php?f=9&sid=c69fd93081b2ef99713831a9eb883ded To view the story ideas I have been posting. You will also see copies of this post.

In my wood turning, I came up with a concept for a new tool. I have a boring bar system (handle) that has replaceable cutting and scraping bits. My brother and made the system. I had seen where someone made a turning tool out of a pipe. I decided I would try to make a cutting tool based on a piece of pipe.
I had my design all wrong, but I did see that I have the basic concept that will work. I just have to use a different design. My hardest part is to cut the pipe. I did not look for a hacksaw I do have, so I used my dremmel and went through nearly a dozen cutting bits to cut the end of the pipe off, and then cut the piece of end pipe in half. I needed to cut the pipe in a different shape and will have to locate the hack saw to do it more efficiently.
I did test the basic concepts and solve some problems that will make the next set work better. It was great in proving a concept. I have joked that only humans make tools, so now I am human.

I can honestly say,

YES I DID WRITE

DID YOU WRITE?




No comments: