Thursday, June 4, 2015

Year 16, Week 19, Day One (week 755)

Year 16, Week 19, Day One (week 755)
(January 17, 2000 was my first carving day.)
05-30-15 Saturday
    92 in the afternoon with small puffs packed in to cover half the blue sky that grew a little bigger as the day wore on, mostly sunshine, with good breeze. The sky is actually showing some light BEFORE I leave the house now. Summer is almost here. This weather report is brought to you by the city Of Pompano Beach Department of Tourism.
    A speaker we love on historical and archeology was involved in some seminars and we were invited to go and listen to his presentation. Because of this meeting, we were unable to stop at any yard sales in the morning, and we saw several signs on our way to the meeting.
    He had done some archeological digs in Israel. He said that most people go to the sites are actually there to move dirt. After a few days they decide to visit the tourist sites and forget about all the work. He said that he kept at it, and the archeologists were so happy with him, that they took him to places that no one is allowed to see without special permission, many of which are not known publicly.
    Anyway, he was talking about the historical festivals that Israel had and how they changed over time. We arrived at about eight, and left at noon, and he was going to continue till three, but we could not stay. It was very educational and informational, and he is always a good teacher / story teller.
    We stopped for lunch on the way home and spent time talking. When we got home, we were all wore out. Between naps and TV, nothing got done today.
    Mom has something planned for us tomorrow so I will have to see what happens. I doubt I will get anything done.
    I will see what happens tomorrow.

Year 16, Week 19, Day Two (week 755)
(January 17, 2000 was my first carving day.)
05-31-15 Sunday
    92 degrees, Blue skies with loads of little puffs, all sunshine, light breeze low humidity. This weather report is brought to you by the city Of Pompano Beach Department of Tourism.
    One of my blinkers went out last night on the way home. I am one of those rare people who actually know what a blinker is, knows  how to use it, and actually use them as a normal course. I did not like that I did not have a working blinker. A quick check showed that the rear blinker had gone out. After picking up the right bulb, I got a couple tools and got to work. The rear blinker was easy to replace. Just a couple of screws and a short time, the blinker was working correctly again.
    Since I had the tools and the initiative, I decided to fix a front blinker. The front blinkers have two bulbs in each unit and one had burnt out. It was flashing fast. After a little bit of work, I got to the first bulb that was a problem, but I could not figure out how to get to the second bulb.
    I don’t get on the ground often as it is tough to get up. In my attempt to figure out how to get to the bulb, I got on the ground. I think the housing is screwed in place, but I could not figure out how to get to the screw, there was too much stuff in the way. I think I touched the bulb connection but could not get it to come out. I was reminded of several reasons I don’t get on the ground as I got up. I made sure the bulb was working and got the housing in place. The blinker is working so I have to leave it as it is.
    There is a joke where a congresswoman takes her care in for a checkup. She said to a senator, "I thought he was gong to rip me off, charging me a thousand dollars, but he said I was really lucky. The only problem was my car was seriously low on blinker fluid.....
    African toads had arrived in Florida back in the 80s and are a nuisance. They have a poison in their back that when a dog or cat bites them, the poison will kill the dog or cat. Mom has two toads in her back yard. The biggest one developed a fondness to Momma Kitty’s food. It would get into the food dish and after eating, just sit there. Mom would find sand in the dish and Momma kitty would have nothing to do with the food. The smaller toad was commonly found in the water feeder or the bird feeders. Mom found a way to get rid of the big toad. She set a small cat cage on the ground and tossed some food inside. When she came back out to check on Momma kitty, the toad was in the cage. Mom did not tell me what she did with the toad, but it was gone. Momma kitty is now beginning to fatten up again.

    I put everything away and went out back. My brother could not come up as he had some work so mom had told me her plans were postponed. I was waiting to see what her different plans might be.
    I remembered about that piece of wood that I was cutting the spiral into. It was not where I first expected it to be and had to look. I found it and instantly knew why I had put it there. It should have been the first place to look.
    I removed my clamp and saw I made a tiny mistake. The piece I was gluing had tipped over and made contact with the next spiral over. It is well glued in place. A few tests with the knife showed it was not going to be easy to pry it loose to straighten it up without breaking anything. I won’t throw it away, but whether I live with the mistake, figure out how to repair it or find a way to hide it, I don’t know. I decided not to mess with it today.
    A Wood Turning Association Magazine came in so I sat and read through part of that while waiting, and petting the cat. We ended up talking, having lunch, and then I left for the day.
    Nothing of much of record happened this weekend, but I enjoyed every minute of it anyway.
    I will see what happens next weekend.

No comments: