Sunday, July 10, 2011

Week 600 Woodworking

Year 11, Week 26, Day One (week 600) (January 17, 2000 was my first carving day.) 07-09-11 Saturday

81 degrees in the morning, 91 degrees in the afternoon. Liquid sunshine hit the ground and became water, and in one bout, the water was like a river across the front of the awning, disappearing into the sandy soil beyond the pavers. By mid morning, the liquid sunshine was gone and we got some blue sky and sun. You know the humidity is high, when you step out of the car after a couple minute's drive with the A/C on and your glasses fog up. It looks like we are having summer. This weather report is brought to you by the City Of Pompano Beach department of Tourism.


Sunday, Late, I pulled a muscle. Monday It was all I could do to roll out of bed and was walking like an old man. It got better as the day went on but I was not in great condition. Each day, it got better as the day wore on, and each morning it was better than the day before.

I checked prices on a radiator for my truck. I picked out where I was going to get the radiator later in the week.

I had something in linseed oil and it leaked, getting some on the sea grape goblet. I picked up the sea grape goblet and the stem broke. The grain runs across the stem, rather than up and down it. Not strong. I never got to add inlay during the week.

I picked up my radiator on Friday and found out that one of my bald tires was coming apart. I went and picked up two good used tires. Had this happened three weeks ago, I would not have known what to do as I did not have the money at the time.


We stopped at two yard sales. I did not see anything I could not live without. I did see a number of things I would have loved to have had five years ago or even two years ago, but I don't need or cannot use now.

We had a daisy chain of storms coming up from the south. I decided I would not set up the lathe early, and dug out the table I use for the mini lathe. I worked on that for adding Aqua sand as inlay into the shrinkage cracks of the sea grape goblet. I also drilled and doweled a skewer through the base of the goblet into the stem to hold it together once I glued it back together.
One thing I see with this decorative sand, is that it turns white when I sand it flush. I have no idea what it is made of or how it is made. It might not be the solution I was hoping for - Easy cheap inlay materials. The super glue I was using was too thick. You want it runny so it soaks in quickly to set the stones.
I tried to apply tape to the inside but it would not stick, so I held the tape over the holes until the first layer of sand had set. I built up the grains until the holes were mounded. I added the sand to the inside too.

Full view of shrinkage cracks filled with inlay.

inside inlay

inlay as normally seen.

I ground a little bit on the Norfolk goblet I made and added a skewer through the stem. One problem is that the skewer shows up now. I will give some thought and figure out how to solve that. I have many.

I mounted the sea grape goblet on the lathe after the weather calmed down, not taking the lathe out from under the cover as I was still not sure if any more storms were coming. I sanded the outside flush, then the inside. I took it off, filled some holes and sanded it again. I then sanded it with finer grits. Finally, I parted off the goblet from the waste wood holding it on the lathe. I did a little hand grinding and have to do some more as I made a small mistake while grinding and have to remove the mistake now.

I sat and crocheted during the storms a few times. this yarn bag I am making is getting bigger. I am about a third as tall as it needs to be.

Tomorrow, I plan to dig out a piece of special wood and make an art piece out of it. It was a thin wedge that was chainsawed out, really rough and textured. I want to turn just a bowl in the center, and leave the rest of the piece in the raw unfinished wood. I would add three small turned legs to level it out. It dawned on me that I could use hot glue to hold it in place, so have dug out my not glue gun. I think this is a project that has to be turned "on the outboard," or with it spinning past the end of the lathe. My tool rest is the toughest part but have a solution that should work this time. I am hoping it works.
I also have carving and other turning projects to work on. I have a big pile of wood just begging to become sawdust.

I will see what I actually do tomorrow.

Year 11, Week 26, Day two (week 600) (January 17, 2000 was my first carving day.) 07-10-11 Sunday

91 degrees when I got outside and 94 degrees as a high. light breeze. A touch of liquid sunshine, just a quick dribble then blue sky to the east over the ocean, and high feathers and wisps above, with some puffs on the western horizon over the Everglades.

My back is doing well. I barely notice I had a sore back. I would only feel a tweak during certain movements, and even that was totally ignorable. I did not avoid any movements at all. "I bet it will feel good when it stops hurting...."

I dug out the slab of wood, it is sea grape, for my special artistic bowl. I used my dollar store hot glue gun to try to glue the board to the metal face plate. I turned the head of the lathe sideways so the piece could spin over the empty space to the side. I could have had it over the end of the bed but decided it was not big enough to cause a problem to the side.
Now I needed a tool rest. I had a cheap roller, the type you set at the end of your saw to carry the wood once it goes past the edge of the table. It was ultra low quality, but was about the right height. I looked in the shed and could not see it. I cannot remember if I relocated it or buried it, but I did not see it. I then took a piece of old two by two, cut it to about the right height, and set my bowl gouge on that and used it like a mono-pod to cut the wood.
I did do a little work, but the wood was moving a little creating a problem. I tried re-glueing it but I did not have enough of the hot glue to hold it in place. I later learned that there are different kinds of hot glue and some are stronger than others. I was using household cheap glue. I only had two sticks and these require at least half a stick to remain inside the gun. If I had a torch, I could have re-heated the glue and try to re-stick it.
The best way to describe it, I marred the surface more than it was. I did try to use white glue to hold it and all that did was mess the surface a little.
Next time I try it, I will get some construction hot glue, use a wood face plate rather than the metal one I tried, and hope that holds better than this attempt. The wood has something more for the hot glue to hang on to.

wood mounted on face plate with hot glue.

My mono-pod tool rest.

Piece of Sea Grape mounted in lathe with lathe head mounted head sideways.

After that, I sort of took it easy, petting the beast of the back yard who was pretending to be a cat, and a little crochet. I took some bits of yarn I had that had untwisted themselves, and put one end in the vice and the other in the drill and twisted them together fairly tight before I wrapped them back into a ball. I have had several that when I made the stitch, would be parallel strands rather than twisted strands. It makes it easier to pick up a stray strand and get all caught up in the work. I am not totally sure how well my twisting them worked. I had some of them to the point where when I removed the tension, they created coils. When I wrapped the yarn into a ball, I worked the worst of the coils out. I will see how well this worked when I eventually get to those balls of yarn. I think the longest one was about twenty feet long.

I did unload the half cab of my truck and moved a few things around because a folding chair was in the wrong place. I figured out that I can have it strand upright in the corner and make more room for everything else.
The handle on The box for my Fordum was pulling out if I carried it on an angle. I decided to drill into the plastic ends of the part that goes into the lid, and stick a long bamboo skewer into the holes. The skewer will prevent it from slipping out. It does not have a whole lot of weight in it so the skewer should be just strong enough. I will see later with use.

My brother arrived and we went out and replaced my radiator. it was a bigger job than I thought it would be but not as big as I was afraid it would be. My brother was good at figuring out what had to be done. We lost one of his little rachet extensions in the engine compartment. It dropped down and was gone, not in the grass but somewhere that could never be found.
This project was mostly knowing how to handle the hoses and clips. WE got it all hooked together and running again. I will check it over the next few days. I also need to get a new radiator cap.

I actually got very little done today on wood working, but It was a nice day to just enjoy being outside.

I am adding linseed oil to the sea grape goblet with turquoise inlay. It really does not need it, but thought it would be nice to try and also might bring out the inlay. I will wipe on a couple coats, then let it dry a couple days, before I start adding varnish.
The Norfolk goblet needs to be sanded and will get the oil finish also. Being green, it is not bringing out the colors yet.
I need to start varnishing my torch carving. I figure it has all the color that the oil will bring out.

Next week, I have more projects than I can count on one hand. It all depends on what the weather is like and what my mood is. I would love to finish some projects that are already started. I would feel like I really accomplished something.
Some will depend on what Mom decides for me to do. If she has me do some real bull-work, it could take the wood working out of me like it did in previous weeks.

I will see what I actually do next week.

No comments: