Friday, August 10, 2012

Week 629 woodworking

Year 12, Week 2, Day One (week 629)
(January 17, 2000 was my first carving day.)
07-28-12 Sunday
 
92 Degrees at ten, 95 degrees at noon. High platelets, smears and streaks, with some puffs all around, especially over the Everglades. The storm that was supposed to hit, stayed South of us, down in the Miami-Dade County. They get really soaked. There was a good breeze that kept things nice and comfortable. This weather report is brought to you by the City of Pompano Beach Department Of Tourism.
   
    DURING THE WEEK
 
One of the feet of my four legged cane wore through so the metal was rubbing on the floor. That is not good. I had a clue for a few days before because the cane was acting like one leg had bent up.
We went to Ace Hardware and got a new set of rubber caps. I teased people, holdingit up, saying "I got new tires for my truck."
 
Saturday was not a working day. Mom and I did a lot of running around. At one yard sale, I picked up what may be thirty knitting needles and a pair of hammer handles. I paid more than I should have for the needles, but had to have them.They came in a backgammon case.
 
 
SUNDAY
 
        I decided to work on the wood mock-up of the tool holder for my mini lathe. My first project was t draw on the pieces I had cut length ways from the wood block to see if that design could be used. After measuring everything out, I saw there was no room for fittings or screws. Cutting my aluminum blank across the middle is the way to go.
        I then decided to machine my wood blank that I cut across. My first project was to cut the slot that the tools would be held. My clamps were not tall enough to hold it. I solved that by cutting slots on the top of the piece where I knew waste wood would be located. I then set it up on end and machined the tool slot. I then machined some of the waste wood where I had cut a slot, and then remembered that the are would be cut off, rather than machined low.
        My results of this machining is quite satisfactory and the process will work nicely. I have some more work on this piece, and then have to do the other half of the tool rest. Because I am working in  wood, I am taking deeper cuts than I would in metal, but the concepts are the same.
 
I expect to work more on this tooling next week, but other projects could come into play between now and then.
 
I will see what I actually do next week.

Machining wood blank
Showing the clamps in slots cut into side of wood


 Showing machined wood with slots, and real tool holder.


This is the top of my cane with my hat on it.
This has to be what a snake has to look like when wearing a cowboy hat.


 The base of my cane showing new "tires" as I jokingly called them

No comments: