Monday, May 9, 2011

Did you write? 05-09-11

Did you write? 05-09-11

It is that time of the week again. That dreaded time to report whether you met the goal of writing something, anything, during the past week, or that you were so weak as to let reality get in the way and let life take over.
Now you don't have to report on Monday, but it is best that you reply here the same day every week so you can actually report a week's worth of work. It could well be as late as Sunday, as long as you post.
The hope is that you post, whether you write or not, just to let people know you are still well, and to get yourself to work to get something done next week.

How much you write does not matter. One word, a hundred words ten thousand words, it does not matter. If you are editing, your word count could well be going down. The act of even opening something is a lot, even if nothing is done, though the hope is that you actually do something. A little bit of a little bit, every week, does add up.
What you write does not matter either. We all agree that new writing is writing. Poetry is also writing. Editing, even if it is the work of someone else is writing. Critiquing a work is a form of editing and therefore writing. Blogging, technical writing, class assignment, article writing, world and character creation, and even E-mails if they are wordy and pertain to story or writing, are all writing.
If you have to ask if it is writing, the answer is yes.

I try hard not to come back and re-post on these notes, those who have reported successes here and elsewhere, I wish to say congratulations.

ON the writing front, I added two pages and over a twelve hundred words in developing the first scene of my Waxy dragon story. I fired that scene off to my writing partner and there was something in it that bothered her. I have to make a change in what I have. It is not big, but will take some imagination. I do have plenty of that.
I am satisfied with the basic plot of the story I have developed. It just needs a lot of work.

On the story idea front, I have 45 story ideas in the compost pile. I have been posting new ideas all week. I have a few more new ideas on top the stack. I am a bit ahead as I have a few days I won't be able to post later this month.

I still have a strong doubt that I have done the exact same story idea. there have been a few where I would take the same concept and presentation and take it in a different direction, but those few are the only ones I know are actually close.
Isaac Asimov once told about someone who had an idea and wanted Isaac to write it and split the precedes. Isaac said that he had more ideas than he could write and why doesn't the guy write a few of those and they could split to precedes of those.
It has been in the recent years that I fully understood Isaac's problem. I have been posting an idea a day, since December 1997. that is a lot of ideas. I wish I had Isaac's talent where he would write it, then edit it, and then it would be publishable. None of my story ideas, even the best ones, were publishable even after ten edits.
I never know when ideas will come or where they will come from. They just appear.
Several years ago, I noticed I had gone some time without an idea involving a car. I was afraid I would never come up with a story idea involving cars. It took a while, but I came up with a new one, and then I have had hundreds since then. They keep coming.
While my story ideas covered a varied subject matter, I do have a style. I would love to have horror, space opera, romance, rousing adventures, have a wider variety of ideas and presentations of the ideas, but it does not happen. I have fallen into a range of subject matters and presentations for those subjects. I have, by definition, developed a style and am stuck with it. I don't know how to get out of it.

I can proudly say,

YES, I DID WRITE!

DID YOU WRITE?

No comments: