Sunday, March 13, 2011

Week 283 Woodworking

year 11, Week 09, Day One (week 583) (January 17, 2000 was my first carving day.) 03-12-11 Saturday

50 degrees early morning, 64 degrees when I got out back, and 74 as the high. Light breeze, blue sky in the morning, puffs approached in the afternoon.


I experimented and printed a pdf scanned book as a booklet, something I have never done. It printed half the book on one side of the paper, then you had to turn it upside down and put it back in the tray and it printed the other half. I then needed some items to finish it.
I also remembered to bring some dollar tooth brushes for cleaning things at Mom's house. I searched everywhere I thought they were. I did find some right where they were supposed to be. When I was looking for some things for the print job, I found the package of toothbrushes I was really after. I also found some other things I knew I could use, mostly for the metal working.

We went to a yard sale after breakfast. I picked up two stainless steel rods and a calculator all for a wallet busting three bucks.

The beast of the backyard inhaled attention today. I did not get a chance to sit down often but when I did, the beast was there demanding to be served petting and food.

I dug out the mini lathe. In my hunting on Friday, I located a dead electric screw driver kit that had sockets and screwdrivers. I took them with me. I took the motor off and carefully measured to find the right sized socket. I then measured carefully for how much I needed to cut the outside of the socket to fit into the hole to get the nut.
After mounting the motor back on, I placed the socket in the jaws of the chuck and machined the outside down to fit into the hole. Sockets tend to have an angle to guide the nut into place. I cut that flat. I took the motor off and THE MODIFIED SOCKET WORKS!!!!
My brother went out of town, so I will have to wait until next week to have him fix the motor.

I worked mostly on the cannon today. I used a fly wheel circle cutter to remove wood in the center of the front brace. That took some doing as I was balancing the piece on the small end. it took some doing but I got partial circle cut out. I figured out that I could not drill for the wheels there.
I messed up the brackets that are supposed to hold the canon in place. I quickly made a new pair and then drilled them out properly. I also drilled the barrel through the side for the supports.
I got an idea to use my lathe to drill for the axles. I placed boards beneath it to get it to the right height. I measured from the end of the cannon in. I put my three foot long drill bit in the chuck, the end going through the head. I then used the tail stock to push the carriage into the drill bit. I figure this is about the only way I could get them this accurate. One was a quarter inch off after running all the way through the wood. the other came out right inside the end of the tail stock point.
I found I had to grind down the other two braces to allow the barrel to lay down properly. I finally added the barrel to the carriage, and I then added the wheels.
the cannon is basically done. I have some touch up to do on it tomorrow, and then apply my finishes to it.
This project was long in coming and it is nice to see the end.

The completed cannon, just finishing is needed.

Tomorrow, I will finish up the cannon and then start on the fairies. The rain fairy needs a wider base to protect her and balance the carving better so I will add another board to it. I need to carve on the other fairy and see if I can get her done. I have to make her base also.

I will see what I actually do tomorrow.

year 11, Week 09, Day two (week 583) (January 17, 2000 was my first carving day.) 03-13-11 Sunday

77 degrees, nice breeze, blue sky with cotton puffs. This weather report is brought to you by the City Of Pompano Beach Department of Tourism.

I figured it out. The beast of the back yard is a PET cat. It is not a carry cat or a snuggle cat. just a pet cat. He does love being petted.

I touched up the cannon, sanding some stuff and adjusting the reliefs of for the cannon to lay down properly.

I then addressed the rain fairy. I glued a whitewood board down beneath the base I had. I then ground and sanded them to blend them together. I also turned some mushrooms, two at a time. I mounted them between center and turned them where the caps were in the center. I bandsawed them apart and sanded with the dremmel and flap sanding bit.
I touched up some other places on her while I was at it. I have to replace a thumb on her and I put in a dowel to keep it in place. I forgot to dig out the filler to form the thumb around the dowel.
I can say she does look good.

front and rear of the rain fairy. notice the small mushrooms around the base.

I did carve a tiny bit on the second fairy, but not too much. I pretty much used up my day by then

When I got home, I added linseed oil over the entire cannon, especially the new parts and where I did work. The fairy got the oil too, except for on the hand that needs repair. I will add another coat tomorrow and then let them dry for Thursday.

I have a turning club meeting this week. I will bring my cannon, my fairy, and a couple other pieces with me to show off. This club meeting will be at a new location and it is always fun finding a place the first time. I prefer to go there ahead of time so that I am not under a schedule to get there. It is also in my area rather than in Mom's area, so I have to come up with a different plan on what to do from the time I get off work and go to the meeting. This week I will likely spend part of it just finding the place.

Next week, I will work on the fairy, on the metal lathe, on the face vase, likely on the cannon I made the barrel for, for my nephew,

I will see what I actually do next week.

No comments: