Sunday, January 31, 2010

Week 525 Woodworking diary

year 10, Week 3, Day One (week 525) (January 17, 2000 was my first carving day.) 01-31-10 Sunday

Saturday: 80 degrees, good breeze, mostly cloudy. No humidity made it so it did not feel like 80s. Light front passed over during the night.
Sunday: 72 degrees, breezy, heavy cloud cover. Temps started to drop at about three. Won't drop past 60 degrees. This weather report is brought to you by the City Of Pompano Department Of Tourism. Our stores and entertainment is open for you and your money.

Saturday,
No wood working at all. We went yard sailing!!! Mom is a master navigator. I picked up a good drill and we got several trays of parts and pieces for a couple bucks. I got some wire we need for the model railroad.
At a church rummage sale, I got some books. We went to a condo yard sale, a condo with hundreds of apartments, we got some kitchen stuff. We then went back to the church sale and got a whole bunch of books a few other things. I spent about twenty-five bucks total!!

One thing I got at the church rummage sale was two Christmas displays. One is a little Bavarian band. They are off their mount.

The other was an unopened wooden Christmas tree with little hooks and tiny figurines to hang on the hooks.


I got all of these for decoration. the idea is to if I have a piece I break, I can make it into a little amphitheater or use these pieces in my own ornaments. One time, I had carved my own little people for such a project, but it turned out to be too big a project for the time I have to work. I sold the little people individually.


Sunday.
I got some woodworking done. Nothing finished, but made some good headway.

I petted Beggar several times. He actually acted like a moody cat, rather than a grinch. He tolerated my brother being there, but because my brother did not sit still, there were several times where Beggar would leap up and be gone for a while. He is very skittish around strangers.

I got to Mom's house early, and was setting up when My brother also arrived early. It took me a bit to get set up to actually work. My brother sharpened his drill bits using the DRILL DOCTOR 400. He found that the drill bits, all by the same manufacturer, required adjustments on the "advance" of the twist compared to the setting that the Drill doctor suggests. He said that this was one thing that has taken him a long time to figure out. He was fighting his drill bits all the time until he figured this out. the more expensive units likely adjust for this, but this unit does not.

I dug out a couple drills and One was having problems. My brother opened it up, re-did the wire and put it back together. He used it for a while and finally we figured out that the switch was what the problem was, not the wire as I thought it was. A yard sale special from many years ago.

I searched Mom's garden for appropriate leaves I wanted to add to my flower vase. I carried the vase with me and quickly figured out that leaves had to be very small. I gathered half a dozen different leaves, sat down with the vase and examined what would have the right effect. I forgot what plant I took the selected leaf off. I traced around it, placing only two leaves on each side of each stem. Once I had leaves I was satisfied with, I started grinding wood away.
I set the background back a little around each leaf, then I shaped the leaves slightly, creating a vein down the center of each. I could have sat and ground a whole lot more, but I was satisfied with my progress.



I should concentrate on getting the blossoms exactly the way I want them. they will set the highest point on the surface, everything else is to be set back in relief. I have a whole lot of wood to remove to get the final thickness I am after for the background. I may do some serious undercutting of the flower, stem and leaves when I am done.
I have a good half inch to cut into and I can do expansive relief carving in that space. Consider how thin a dime is, and how effective their relief carving is.

I searched out a piece of cherry I had cut for a project and chose not to use. It was glued to another board for a rocket powered race car, one who's design I changed to a more solid design.
I band sawed right down the joint, separating them. I then took the small piece of wood and drew, about five times, a duckling head on it before I felt I was ready to cut it out. I wanted a bigger head, but could not get the size and proportions correct.
What I ended up with is about the same size as the other heads I made last week, but this one is wider. I need to re-shape it more, basically make the head itself round, while it is sort of flat on the top. I have more of the wood and if I get it right, I will make more heads with that wood.
I took one of the duckling bodies I made, a bit bigger, out of Sea grape, and started carving the feet. When I made the bowl, I had a saucer around the base. I have removed the saucer from the side and back of the bowl so the feet stick out, out front. I have a lot of work to do, but got a good start on that bowl too. It needs a lot of finishing that mere sandpaper is not going to solve.

Playing around, I did not get as much done as I should have. I did have a good time working and made headway.
Next week, I have loads of projects to work on but nothing will get completed. They will get another step closer, though.
I will be visiting the antique shop where I have my work on display, and see how things are gong. I get to visit a thrift shop on the way down there and will likely end up with more books, not that I need any more.

I will see what I actually accomplish next week.

No comments: