Thursday, January 28, 2010

Digging Up Bargains, Doing More Stuff...

Oh hi, Autumn here. As you can probably tell by my nose, I've been out digging for goodies in the backyard. Well you know, Mom went out digging somewhere too, and she came home with a whole bunch more people goodies. Nothing I'd like, but she sure seemed happy. Lee went with her and he came home with things too. I still don't understand why they don't trade all that stuff in for a nice big chewy bone or a squeaky toy. It seems to me like that would be a lot more fun, though I might try chewing on some of their new stuff to see what it tastes like.

Well, gotta go, Mom wants the computer back and I have kitties to chase. Bye-bye for now!




Sometimes it is hard to get a peaceful moment around here. We've had our share of ups and downs and illnesses since the holidays were over. I haven't been able to get out much at all, with the puppy sitting and the storms. But I had an afternoon doctor's appointment the other day and it was in the same general area as one of my favorite thrift stores. So, Lee and I packed up early and went thrifting. Afterward we had lunch and then went to my appointment. It was a fun day, and it is always good to have an enthusiastic partner along. *S* Lee does the driving for us, and while he doesn't have a lot to spend on his fixed income, he enjoys the hunt for bargains as much as I do. Thrifting is one of the least expensive hobbies you can have. I like that my purchases help local charities support those in need.

Books are always a draw, I am both a reader and a writer. I have the Gnomes book below and love it, so I picked up that and the Van Gogh as a gift for someone else. I discovered the Gnomes book back in my teens when it first came out. I checked it out of the local library in my hometown and fell in love with it. I got my own copy a few years ago, and was very happy to grab this one, which is in good shape.

When Roger was up here on vacation in August of 2008, I was fortunate enough to get 4 free passes to Yale University Art Gallery for a Van Gogh exhibit of Starry Night and Cypresses. Roger and I, Lee and #1 son Jason, all went together. Imagine being in a small side room and almost nose to nose with those very famous works. Breathtaking. We had such a great time there, the place was filled with art we enjoyed, and there was another museum filled with British art right across the street. We got lunch in a funky little cafe, and made a real day of it. Great memories...

This is the back of the Gnomes book, and the fiberboard cover of the Van Gogh. Both show wear and are a bit musty, but are really in very good condition.





I found some other books I wanted, and two of them are for grandson Ben. The Lorax was always my favorite Dr. Suess, the one I enjoyed reading to my kids the most. Ben is big on Thomas The Tank Engine, and this little popup book is in fair shape. I don't buy many cookbooks anymore, but this is New England, and maple syrup is just something we do here. There is a recipe in there for a maple pecan pie that sounds amazing. I have always wanted a copy of Black Elk Speaks and snapped that one right up. I read the preface and I am already hooked.






We love comedy movies for those nights where there is nothing on TV and my mother wants to watch something light and entertaining. The Gilligan DVD is still sealed. The game disc is still in very good shape even though the case is toast. Don't know if Jason has tried that yet.




Lee wanted me to show you his favorite find - this very large book of Hubble telescope images of our universe. The pictures in there are amazing! The original cover price on this was like $75, so a steal for $5 because the interior is in very good shape. He talked about that the rest of the day, and I was really happy for him. Sometimes you find a real treasure out there.





You know me and the kitchen stuff... Another old pie tin for my collection. The measuring cup is like brand new. I go through several of those in a sitting when I bake. Tomato slicers are not that easy to find anymore, and nothing makes more uniform slices of the big juicy love apples we grow here in the summer. My find of the day was 7 Corelle salad plates. They are not the color I hoped for, but a heck of a lot better than even the outlet price. That is the size plate I have my dinner on, to control portions and keep me honest about it. I lost over 60 lbs in the last year, and that was one of my tricks. We never seem to have enough of that size plate, but we do now!



And of course there is the thing I have with tins. The one on the left is actually a canister, and it has a filter of sorts under the lid that can be unscrewed and dried out in the oven. I think it smelled like strong coffee, so I have to do that. It was the fruit prints that got me on these, anything botanical will catch my eye.


These small tins were all attractive, so I grabbed all three. The one on the left is hinged. I got into bringing home tins a couple years ago because I saw a couple of nice ones and remembered that a dear friend who has passed on used to collect them, and displayed them on the big beams of her old farm house. I do use mine for storage, so they are here and there around the rooms.


One more big tin with a Victorian feel to it. The Gnome picture frame was the first thing I grabbed, it needs a cardboard backing but is otherwise intact and adorable. The little witch riding through the clouds vignette was kind of cute too - I have a small collection of witches going now.


Speaking of witches, crocheted witch doll #2 is now done except for the jewelry. She turned out as good as her predecessor. I tried for a slightly different expression on her. I still haven't decided if and how I want to trim her hair.


You see how full her hair is in the back? I think it should be shaped, but I am afraid to ruin it, so I am waiting until I am sure what I want to do. I do like the two-tone look. With the exception of the trim, the gown she is wearing is the original pattern that came with the doll instructions, now that I rewrote the awkward areas. I made a seam because I prefer to work it that way. To make a straight seam like that while working in rounds, you have to join and turn back at the end of each row. She looks very California Girl to me.


She appears to be conjuring something on the TV.


How can you not believe a face that open and innocent has your best interests at heart? I bet she rehabilitates bats and sends them back into the wild.


Mischief says that since the day is about over, you should forget about the rest of the chores and relax a little - they'll still be there tomorrow. After all, the clean clothes in the laundry basket will look a little better with some cat hair on them. People will see the cat hairs and smile because they know that you have a kitty at home who loves you. Besides, who can see cat hair on plaid flannel anyway? So take it easy, take a break, and find somewhere warm and comfy to curl up and have a nap for a while today. It will make you feel like purring again.

No comments: