Monday, September 12, 2011

09-12-11, did you write?

09-12-11, did you write?

It is that time again. You report about what is going on in your life so you have an excuse to post here every single week, and then you tell about whether you wrote or not. If you have too many weeks where you post that you did not write, hopefully shame will sit in and you will open your work in progress sometime during the week, even at the last moment, so you can happily report you actually wrote this week. It only really works if you post regularly.

We all love to report word counts. for new writing it is a whole lot of fun. If you find yourself having to rewrite a section, or are editing, word counts can end up being small in spite all the work you did, or they may actually go backwards.
How much is written does not matter. One might write one word, or one might write half a novel. One might have writing goals to aim for and one may report whether you ended above or behind th goals.

As to what is writing, new writing is always writing. Editing, even if it is the work of someone else's is also writing. Critiquing is writing. Poetry, writing assignments, technical writing, blogging, world and character creation, BBS posts (preferably wordy and best if they pertain to writing) are also writing. E-mails are also writing if they pertain to writing or story and are wordy.
In essence, if you even think to ask if it is writing, we accept it to be writing.

As for me, Yes, I have been writing. I have added a few pages to all three stories I am working on, but most of what I have done is edited the first two. I am in the last stages to get the first two stories out to my first reader to see how the stories hold up.
I was on page 19 on my first story last week. I am now up to page 23. On my second story, I was on page 6, and now on page 7. On the third story, because I have done heavy editing, I did little, I was just on page 3 and now fully onto it. I did, though plot bow some of the central action is supposed to happen where the character movements are key to making it work. I even sketches to help make since of the action.

On the story idea front, I am a little ahead as I have a meeting this week that will set me back a day. I had felt the story ideas were coming very slowly, but I have 40 story ideas in my compost pile. That is not too bad. Some of the newest ones are pretty good. I will try to use up the lesser ones to get them out of the way before they sink too far. I make that mistake often, tending toward the fun ideas first.

As to the question of the day,

I can honestly say,

YES, I DID WRITE!!!!

DID YOU WRITE?

No comments: