Sunday, April 17, 2011

Week 588, Woodworking

year 11, Week 14, Day One (week 588) (January 17, 2000 was my first carving day.) 04-15-11 Friday

89 degrees, changing skies (some blue, a cloud shield passed, lots of puffs) no breeze at eight, nice breeze by eleven. This weather report is brought to you by the City of Pompano Beach Department of Tourism (Florida's Warm Welcome)


Last week, I changed the king frog, taking a frog I made back in 2000 and using that instead of the recently made frog. During the week, I painted a crown on his robe, and added beads to his crown to look like jewels. It looked better.
I finally took the cabinet door I repaired several weeks ago and put it in place. I had to trim flush the dowels I added for reinforcement of the corners. Unless you look, you are not going to see them. It is not going to move.

king frog and fairy


It took several days to make the decision, but I decided I had enough projects to warrant going to Mom's house to work.

When I got there, I found that my rain fairy had fallen down. I checked and a wing and some fingers were missing. I searched for it and could not find it anywhere. I will find it in about six months....
I cut away the remains and bored out where it entered the fairy's body. These fairies actually have four wings. Upper and lower wings on each side. The upper wing on the right side was the only one missing and I have one pair of spare upper wings. I will have to make more wings later.
I glued in the upper wing and since I could not find some close pins to use as clamps, I took a pair of vice grips with it cranked wide, I set it over the wings and screwed it down until it held the wings together and then propped it up.
The fairy is made of Tupelo, which I like to describe as a very hard Balsa Wood. I dug out a small block of the wood, a cutting from another project, and worried out a tiny piece of it more than big enough for the fingers of the hand. I rough shaped the wood where it met the hand and glued it in place.
Tomorrow, I will grind the new attachment into shape and hopefully it won't look much different than the rest of the hand.

I had several pieces that needed to be signed or priced. There were a few others where the signature was fading and needed to be amplified. I picked through them and signed them, then worked out what I thought was a good price for them.

I took a mushroom I made last month, and changed the shape slightly. The dome was too sharp for what I needed so I flattened it quite a bit. to do that, I was holding it in the chuck by the stem, which was how I made it. At that time, I reached the tool next to the chuck to hollow out the inside some.
I turned the mushroom around, placing the mushroom cap against the chuck with some sandpaper as a buffer and using the tail stock in the center of the stem to hold it in place. This is not the best way to do this, but it gets the job done with the least amount of effort. I then thinned out the mushroom stem to a nice shape. The cap needed some extra sanding from the chuck scratching the cap when it moved a couple times.
With the Rain fairy I had a piece of yellow pine that I had ground on to make it look sort of like a rock. I decided to use that as a base for the king frog. I had cut it off the old base and the bottom was rough. I tipped it up so it was flush against the bandsaw blade and carefully ran it through, flattening the bottom some more. I then sanded it the rest of the way flat.
I drilled the base for the mushroom and doweled the mushroom in place. I then put a dowel on the top of the mushroom and glued the king frog in place.
I made a slight adjustment on the mouth of the frog so it looks aa little more frog like and painted the repairs.
I fitted the king frog over the dowel on the mushroom cap and glued it in place. that is now a new separate carving.

King frog

While I was on the phone for a while, I sharpened at some of my chisels and knives. I have a practice of sharpening nearly every knife I have just before the art shows. I have more to do and have to dig out some more knives.

I sanded my toy canon carriage. I needed to sand some tight areas and knew I had done something like that before, but could not remember what I used. about three minutes later, I remembered I had a strip sander. That did the job perfectly. I was a bit sloppy and rushed to glue this carriage together. It was not flush and does have a few little gaps. My sanding flushed up the unequal boards.
I then cut some squares out of a two by six and held them together with a screw and mounted that on the lathe. I used my "Jacobs chuck" which is a drill chuck on a taper that fits into the hole of either the tail stock or the head stock of the lathe. I used that to clamp onto the screw to spin it. Because of little drilling errors the wheels are not even or square, but they do look pretty good. I still have to drill for the axels and then put the wheels on. I then have to make the brackets to hold the barrel in place to pivot. It is gong to be close to finishing tomorrow.

I have a metal working idea I want to work on. I am making a tool for my little lathe. I decided I want to make the tool out of wood to see if it is going to work. I cut a couple pieces of Orange tree wood, which is hard and strong, and rough squared them. tomorrow if I have the time, I will set the lathe up in the milling machine configuration and make the part using the router and milling bits I have. This will be a test of concept to see if it is even going to work. If it does, I will work out the dimensions more accurately and eventually make it out of metal.

In metal working, one is always needing small pieces of metal of various sizes and shapes. While reading a machining magazine, I learned that the box they keep the small pieces in is called a CHOWDER BOX. I guess a chowder is something with lots of little bits. There have been times where I have considered that for my wood working. One is always needing small pieces of wood for one thing or another, but I learned from experience that the pieces you have are all the wrong size and shape, or wrong kind of material. it was not really worth hanging onto bits and pieces.

My main project for tomorrow is to get everything boxed up so I can just grab them and put them into the truck to take to the art show. The fairies and other large carvings will be in separate boxes or carefully arranged a couple to a box. My turnings are all in just a couple boxes.
If I have time, I will do some experimental milling on Orange wood. it will be an interesting project.
I have to finish up on the rain fairy, re-carving her fingers and making sure her wings are in place and any filling and painting is done.
I will try to finish the toy cannon, but doubt I can do that. I will charge up all my batteries so that If I need a drill or dremmel, I will have the power to do the job. I will also make sure I bring some other stuff from home and get them in place for the art show.

I will see what I actually do tomorrow.

year 11, Week 14, Day Two (week 588) (January 17, 2000 was my first carving day.) 04-16-11 Saturday

78 degrees early morning, and after a long period in the mid 80s, it got up to 90. We got some liquid sunshine but since I was doing little projects, I was easily able to work around it. It dried up by mid morning and the sun shown up somewhat steady by the time I packed up to leave. This weather report is brought to you by the City Of Pompano Beach Department of Tourism, Florida's Warm Welcome.

I shaped the replacement fingers of the rain fairy. It looks pretty good now. there are little things that need fixing, but not until later when I have plenty of time. It is good enough as is. The most glaring "flaws" are not noticeable unless you look for them. the effect is good.

I dropped the frog king carving and the stem of the mushroom broke. I had turned that piece of wood on the side so the grain went across the piece. I drilled down through the stem until the bit passed out the base. I then set the mushroom cap in place and drilled from the base up into the upper stem and into the cap. I then used a lot of glue and ran a dowel up to hold it in place.

Yesterday, I sharpened a bunch of my knives and put them in a plastic bag. Today, the bag was in my way so I moved it. I was setting it in a place where they could fall out, so I put it down firmly to settle it. One of the knives that has a sharp point came through and stuck the side of my hand. A little blood but that was about it.
When My dad used to make knives, he had learned to make them with a long sharp point. It was great for removing wood deep. The problem is that carving gloves are not designed to defend against stabs. They are designed for slices.
I was making a knife from a file. My knives are a whole lot longer than Dad's knives. That is because of the way I use them. I broke the file in half, with one half a lot shorter than the other. I finished the knife and it was good. I then decided to make a knife out of the other half. Instead of making a point on this knife, I left the end flat, blunt, square. I quickly found out that I liked that end. It worked like a wedge. All my knives are made with square ends now. I do taper the back to the blade as it comes to the point so it has more room to get into tight places, but they are all square ends. One big advantage to this design is that the point does not stab the way Dad's knives do. wedge at the point does stab but not anywhere near as much as a long fine point.
I have the very first two knives I ever started carving with which has nice long points, and one of my early made knives which comes to sort of a blade like point. The rest of my knives have the square ends.

I finished the little cannon. I marked where the axle was going to be, and then stacked wood on the lathe until I had the height I wanted. I put a long enough drill bit into the drill chuck and put the point at one spot on the side, and set the tail stock on the other side of the point. I then used the tail stock to push the wood into the drill bit. the way this works is that the force of the tail stock being cranked out, puts the pressure exactly in line with the tip of the drill bit. this means that unless you make a major mistake, the drill bit will come out the other side of the wood right an the point of the tail stock.
The bit I used was too small, but once that was drilled, it guided the larger drill bit through each side of the piece to meet in the center. I did have a little forcing to get the axle shaft through as the big bits were not coming through absolutely perfectly, but that was minor.
I drilled all the way through the cannon for a dowel, and I also had glued "brackets" on top of the cannon and then drilled through the joint of the center. I put a dowel through. I had a choice of having it turn on the brackets or turn on the cannon. I decided the cannon will pivot on the shaft, and the ends will be pegged.
I had to curve out the end brace in back to give the cannon a little more tip up and down as the pivot was not quite high enough. With that, I buttoned it up and called it done. there is a lot of work I can do on it, but for now, today, it is done enough. If I still have it after tomorrow, I will do more work on it.

Toy cannon

Toy cannon next to big cannon to show style and size differences

I broke one of my favorite drill bits too. It was a long one that just barely fit with the other drill bits. While drilling the barrel of the cannon, which is oak, I applied too much side pressure and it broke into three pieces. one was inside the wood, one was on the counter, and a small piece was in the drill chuck. I was able to use the long shaft to finish the hole after I got the rest of it out of the wood. I drilled holes around the drill bit, then tipped the drill on an angle and opened the flanges between the holes. I went around and around, going deeper until I could get needle nose pliers to grab hold and twist it out. This was a guide hole for larger drill bits. I forgot all about my spade bits and my Fornser bits so I used the dremmel to grind the hole a bit larger.

I think I killed my two Dremmels. I have a normal one and was doing some grinding and it shut down and won't start. Then I finished the grinding with the battery powered drill and it then shut down. I got it started and did a little bit of other work, then it shut down again and would not start. I don't know if it is the motor or the battery. I will figure out both of them next weekend. I do have a FORDUM, which is a very powerful motor with a flex shaft. I may have to start carrying that around with me everywhere. It is a bit more cumbersome to use, but is a good machine.

For the show, I do have battery powered drills. They will use the dremmel bits though they turn a whole lot slower.

I boxed up my carvings and set aside a couple extra boxes. Packing up after the show takes more boxes than when you go there. It is the nature of the job. One carefully packs things to prepare for the show and after the show, things get tossed together to get it back in the car as quickly as possible.

After I packed everything up, I am thinking of things I need to bring with me to the show. stuff like wood, band-aids, paper towels. blanks, paper, cards, colored paper, All night tonight, I will be thinking of stuff I will need, or remembering where the stuff I cannot find are located.
I stopped and picked up some napkins and plastic silverware. I wrapped the silverware in the napkins and they will go into my turkey bowl, and the napkins will go into the rooster bowl and that will show what they can be used for besides looking good. It might help sell them.

I did not practice my layout, other than pulling everything out and having a look at them. It will take a bit longer to set up than last year. I do know my best stuff goes onto the table first, and then anything else will go into place if there is room and if it will help the display. It would be nice to have some room around my stuff. I will see how things look as I go along. I will be setup to carve. I will be carving pencil heads, though I might do a few shaving flowers while I am at it. I do have to remember to grab that stuff while I am packing up. I forgot to gather them today.

Tomorrow is the art show. I will see what actually happens tomorrow.

year 11, Week 14, Day Three (week 588) (January 17, 2000 was my first carving day.) 04-17-11 Sunday

High 80s, 90 under the awning with the sun shining in from the side, lots of clouds of various kinds, some looking a little pregnant. I saw no showers until on the way home and I skirted something to the south, getting only a few driblets as I drove home. The good breeze helped. Several people's paintings and two mirrors fell over, one mirror broke. I stayed under an umbrella for the most part which helped.
This weather report is brought to you by the City Of Light House Point.

I arrived at the art show at quarter to eight and they let us in at eight. I immediately went out back to find my table. I found that if I brought my stuff in through the building, I would have to deal with some steps. I walked down to the dock, ten feet below the area I was to set up (five feet above water level at the time) and walked around the building. I found that if I parked at the back of the building near the water, I could bring my wagon down a steep but short slope, along the bumpy dock, and up a long steep slope to the patio. I felt this would be best. About six trips later, I had my stuff at my table. I parked my truck a distance away and came back.
I set up my table. I did not like how it looked. We had a brunch which was excellent. I over ate but ate healthily.
When I returned to my table, I rearranged things and decided it was pretty good. One by one, people starting coming by.

Pencil heads I carved during the show

the end of my table

The front of my table

the whole table

I carved two pencil heads. My drill kit has a jig saw so I used that to cut the heads off the stick of wood, and then drilled for the pencil. they need painting but they are pretty good. I may touch them up a little next week.

I was giving little girls flowers. their mother came by to pay me for them and I got them to take three pencil heads for the money.
A young man purchased a goblet. It broke up a set but that was not a problem. I sold a wooden flower also. Finally, An artist purchased several of my bowls for a whole lot less than they were worth. I had a lid to something that I could not figure out what it went to. I put it on a small vase and it fit and was the same kind of wood. She selected a vase and I took the lid and put it on there and that was the vase it went to. We decided to leave it on the little vase instead. It matched close enough.

When I got home, one of the fairies lost her wing. I pulled some more stuff out of the truck and found the wing. It will repair quite well because one wing-let pulled out while the other broke. that is an easy repair.

During the art show, I did a lot of walking around, and standing. I saw what most artists had on display, and stood to talk to a lot of the customers. There was always a reason to be on my feet.
I somehow made only four trips to load the stuff back up. At mom's house it took three trips to unload the stuff that went there. At home, I got an idea and parked next to the elevator, stacked stuff there, then parked my truck in my own spot, then shoved everything in the elevator, went up, then shoved everything out, and then it took three trips to get stuff down the fifty paces to my door.
During my trip home, my feet complained horribly. when I was unloading the truck, it felt good. When I walked to my apartment, they were bothering me. Right now they are not all that happy.

Like a football game, there is a lot of anticipation to the event, and there is excitement during the event, then the event is over.

I have a turning club meeting Thursday and have to get my stuff together to display for that. Friday is sort of a rest day. During the week, I will pick through my stuff here at home and get things sorted.
Next week, I have a machining project to try. I will do it in wood first to see how it comes out. I will also have my brother look at my Dremmels and figure out what happened to them. I may have killed a battery for one. The other motor may be dead.
I will disassemble the toy cannon and make it child proof. Right now it needs work.

I will see what I actually do next week.

No comments: