Monday, April 25, 2011

BELIEVE IT OR NOT, I'M STILL AROUND!

As one of the initial founders of this website, I have been severely chastised by Nancy time and time again about not posting here as much as I used to.
I have absolutely no idea as to how long it has actually been since my last post here, but obviously it's been a lot longer than I first thought, for I could find no record of my own pass code to this website!
Nancy had to let me use hers just to log in!

With that in mind...
First off, let me sincerely apologize to anyone who has been missing my words of wit and wisdom here.
And if you know the difference between the two, please tell me and then we'll both know.


Anyway, I have been pretty busy as a writer/editor in my own right.
I am not only Editor-In-Chief of The Free Choice E-zine at www.thefreechoice.info , but am also the creator/writer of Hugh Monn, Private Detective and Wylde World for Pro Se Productions (at www.proseproductions.com ) where I also work as an editor too.
Pro Se is currently in the middle of switching from magazines to books, so I am also in the midst of writing my own novel(s) when I'm not editing the work of others, and yes Nancy, I will get back to work on proofreading yours soon!


So it's not like I have been intentionally ignoring any responsibilities I have here.
Another problem I have is that most of the time I am too bashful for my own good. I have always preferred to let my actions speak for themselves and am uncomfortable "tooting my own horn", so to speak.
But in this age of self-promotion, those that don't speak get left in the dust, so I am learning how and when to open my mouth, although some things (like the details about those aforementioned books) I honestly can't talk about right now.

So what DO I talk about?
With a lot of my hobbies, there isn't really much to show in public.
I collect baseball cards, and the Topps Card company is celebrating its 60th anniversary of producing baseball cards this year. Series 1 of the 2011 season looks quite good, but all the images are copyrighted between Topps and Major League Baseball, so I can't really cut and paste any of them here; which is a dang shame since design wise, this is one of the better sets Topps has produced in years.

I do read. A LOT!
If you folks would like me to start discussing comic books or regular novels/paperbacks here, I will be happy to do so.
One novel that I have just about finished reading in what I laughingly call my "spare" time, and hence the title for this website, is The Unscratchables by Cornelius Kane (aka Anthony O'Neil).


It is a great romp of an adventure between a streetwise Bulldog Cop and a Siamese Cat from the Feline Bureau of Investigation where in the end, the only ones they can trust are each other.
The novel reads like a cross between the Law and Order franchises, Dragnet, and a good (pulp) mystery.
The ONLY quibble I have about the book is that while there are distinct chapter divisions, for some odd reason they are not numbered.
Maybe that's a mystery to be solved if Kane/O'Neil writes a sequel.

Whatever the story turns out to be I hope he does write more Unscratchables novels.

WOW! I managed to take a few minutes out of my busy schedule to blog without some dreaded deadline crashing down upon me.
I am definitely going to have to make more of an effort to post here more often.
If there is anything you would like to ask or have me discuss/comment upon, just leave a message here and I will get to it.
Eventual-Lee yours,
Lee Houston, Junior
April 25, 2011

No comments: