Monday, December 6, 2010

Did You Write? 12-06-10

Did You Write? 12-06-10

One a week I ask if you wrote something this past week. I also ask you to reply even if you did not write. The hope is that if you are posting every week, you will use this not to push yourself to open some work in progress just so you can say yes. Attempting to write every week is much better than going months without writing, even if you don't accomplish anything. How much is done is unimportant as long as there is an attempt. The attempts do add up after a while.
This note comes up every week. You know you need to post on the note what you did, or did not do. You rush something open and do something each week, eventually developing a habit of writing every week, and possibly every day.
As to what is writing, we all accept that new writing is writing. Editing is also writing, even if it is someone else's work or critiquing. Poetry, blogging, writing assignments, technical writing, world or character creation are also writing. Even E-mails can be writing if they are wordy and pertain to writing and story. If you have to ask if it is writing, the answer is yes.


On the writing front, I kept going over stuff I already had cut back the word count. I am reducing my word count to fit within the format of a magazine.
I am looking at zapping a number of scenes which I feel are important to the story. Some effect other scenes, which means rewrite. Basically what I am doing right now, I am tightening up what I have as much as possible so I have a core value of how much is going to have to be removed. Because I am "piddling" with editing, I am not getting serious word count. With all the work I did this week, I only removed 860 words from my piece.
I am not at the end of the story yet as I keep backing up and going over what I have. I know I am not going to cut down too man words to the end as I am at the final battle. When I get to the end, then I will hack scenes out... They are my babies.

On the story idea front. December was not too bad. I ended up with 30 story ideas, on page 37, 21962 words. I miss the high word and page counts but to write my stories, something had to go. I am back to telling what the stories are about rather than actually doing the stories like what I used to try to do. At least I am still posting them.

I just replaced the starter on my truck. I had to take money from a bill to pay for it. I can imagine the decisions and feelings a space ship owner has to go through to get back into space when a key part is causing problems. The idea of having something working sporadically, seriously needing replacement, and not having the money. One has to choose to be a bit later on a bill, or fight the problem for a while longer.
Now consider that the creditor is the mob, or the IRS, and they do not appreciate late payments. One is out of business if the ship is not making trips.
One gets the repair and gets back to business. Now what could possibility go wrong on getting the rest of the payments in within some semblance of on time?

I have already given out some of my ornaments as Christmas presents to people who I might not see until next year. It is surprising as to what people like. The ones I love, are not what they chose. Some of the ones I was not impressed with have been popular.
Some of my older offerings (I have some from most of the years I have been doing this) could be replicated to increase their numbers. My problem is that I don't have that kind of time, and generally would rather be working on other projects instead.
I have a bit more Christmas projects to work on. Soon I will apply myself to working towards the Art show I do in March.

As to the question of the week,

I can say YES, I DID WRITE!

DID YOU WRITE?

No comments: