Monday, October 25, 2010

Did You Write? 10-25-10

Did You Write? 10-25-10

Many among us write every day or every week without prompting. There are those of us who might not write for several months were it not be for someone reminding us we should write.
This note is to remind us slackers to write, to open our works in progress, even if it is something new, sometime during the week. The hope is that writing will become a habit rather than an interest.

We don't care how much you write. If you write the RIGHT WORD, then you wrote. When editing, the word count might actually go down.
We don't care what it is you write. The rule of thumb is that, IF YOU HAVE TO ASK, THE ANSWER IS YES.
For example, all new writing is writing. All editing is writing, even if it is the work of others. Critiquing is also writing. Blogging, poetry, writing assignments, articles, technical writing, world and character creation are all also writing. Even E-mails can be writing if they are wordy and pertain to story or writing. The answer is yes it is.

As for me, I worked on my second Waxy story all week. I made great headway and got through some difficult scenes. I am thinking I will have to go back through it and cut down the word count, but it is reading a whole lot better than any other version.
I got permission to return to my first story, and go through the suggested edits. I am about half way through that now. I am at a bothersome scene that I need to fix. I now know how that fix will go.
Because of the changes I am doing, my word count is going down as I remove old scenes after I replaced them or made them unimportant. Half the story is still in a wandering ending. I would remove it but there might be some jewels I can gleam from it for my final story. The final work will be a whole lot shorter when done.

On the story idea front, I have 48 story ideas in my compost pile, including what I am posting tonight. Last month I ended one story idea short, so to make sure I have enough this month, I have posted story idea 27, for the 25 days so far of the month.

I explored some ornament designs based on cat posts I saw in a store. What I came up with for my cat ornaments look nothing like the cat posts, but they came out pretty good. Each time I made some, I changed the design based on what I learned from the last ones. during the week, I painted faces on the cat ornaments and was stunned at how good even the bad ones came out. While my newest ones look great, the old ones are quite presentable, nothing as bad as I thought. Sometimes a bad attempt on a good idea comes out great.

As to the question of the day,
I am happy to admit

YES I DID WRITE

DID YOU WRITE?

No comments: