Monday, September 20, 2010

Did You Write? Sept. 20, 2010

Did You Write? Sept. 20, 2010

Another week, another excuse,, or celebration...

I am going to be visiting my writing partner next week, and won't be able to post next Monday. Hopefully, someone takes over. I am not sure I will be in condition to post the following Monday either. I will have to see. You know how trips take everything out of you. If you want, just post something for next week.

There are those among us who will write, no matter what. This note is for the rest of us. The idea is that we need to announce whether we wrote, or not, and tell why we did not, each and every week.
the intent is to shame ourselves into writing. You see this note approaching and you realize you have not written so far this week. You open some work in process, or something new, and write. It can be one word, it can be a sentence, a paragraph or a whole piece of work. One can edit something, even if it is not yours, critique someone's piece, blog, do writing assignments, technical writing, poetry, world or character creation, even long winded emails about story or writing, just so you can say you wrote.
The hope is that it will become a habit to write every week, and if possible, more often, so you end up with a finished something, eventually, developing the habit of writing. Writing is a good habit.
We don't worry about word counts. It is nice to report them, but if the project requires a loss of words through editing to fit into publication requirements, then word counts will go down. Editing often has word counts that don't change at all.

As for me, I did write. I am writing from scratch, an old work I had blasted out in 2003. This version has some of the best writing I have ever done in my life. I can see the end coming, but it is on the other side of the valley. At least I can see the end.
Finding times to write has been a little challenge but I have done so and it has been satisfying. I am already at page 20 on this with 11533 words. I lost my word count for last week. so I cannot tell you how much I gained.

On the story idea front, I am trying to get ahead for the month. I will be on vacation and won't be posting story ideas. I will note them down, but won't be posting them.
I have to post six ideas in the next three days I will end the month short, but will make up for it next month. I will give my numbers for the month when I get back.

I had visited my writing partner and her family before. This time we are going to concentrate on writing, more than seeing the area and getting to know each other. Waxy birth story is our big project, getting it ready for publication. It is close, but not quite there. There will be three of us writers, who met on line, sitting together to write. this is going to be fun.

As to the question of the week,

I can say that this week,

YES I DID WRITE

DID YOU WRITE?

1 comment:

Dr.Qwaylood said...

Wow, dude..I finally found ya!

I just hope u still ain't at Lagasse Pool Construction Co. - South Florida's Proudest name in Swimming Pools since 1954!

Will try and contact you by email on yer Prodigy site!

Mark (now in Arizona)