Monday, July 26, 2010

Week 550 Woodworking

year 10, Week 28, Day One (week 550)
(January 17, 2000 was my first carving day.)
07-24-10 Saturday

Sunny with fast moving clouds, nice wind. warm but not bad.
This weather report is brought to you by the City Of Fort Lauderdale Department of tourism.


I started my run and my transmission failed. My brother towed me to his house. He had one of those nylon carry straps. Hooked to his truck and mine. I set the emergency break on, and he towed me, not going over thirty miles per hour. He would signal me and my job was to stop both of us. this was to keep the tow strap tight at all times. It required both of us to be on the ball all the time. My breaks were not good because the engine was not running and I was stopping both of us. If he stopped quickly, I would be up his tail pipe, so we had to be careful.
We had only one incident where he stopped a tiny bit faster than I did and when he started out, the strap jerked, but other than that one time, it was a perfect pull. it was not fun as small cells of rain shot by, wetting us down for a minute or two and then was gone.


My brother picked me up at home and we jacked the truck up on jack stands under all four wheels. We made sure the truck was stable. We then went to see about parts. I had priced clutch kits and the prices were high. I also got a figure on a shop fixing it. I would not have that kind of money for a while.
We picked up a book at one parts store so we could know what had to be done, but they did not have the parts in. We stopped at another and it was cheaper than other prices. we got the hydraulic slave and it was almost as cheap as prices given to us just for the clutch kit.
we went back and dug into the truck, taking everything down. We got a call by noon that the parts were in. by three, when we were expecting the parts in, we got the transmission down I had a glorious failure in there. we needed the hydraulic slave after all. It was damaged.
We picked up and put in the parts, and then spent about two, three hours trying to get the transmission back into place. We could not get the transmission in exactly the right position to get the end of the shaft into the bearing on the crank shaft. We were out of time and wore out. My brother said he would be able to work on it Tuesday.


Other than signing the face vase and giving several coats of varnish over the signature, I did no wood working. I could have sanded on some crochet hooks but worked on a writing project instead.

I have loads of projects to work on next week. A dress vase to work on. I need to pick up some wood and practice making platters for my demonstration, I have carving projects I can work on. I should start making Christmas ornaments for this year. Now is as good a time as any.

I will see what I actually do next week.

No comments: