Monday, July 12, 2010

Did you write? July 12-10

Did you write? July 12-10

You see this note and realize you need to reply to it. You dig out some work in progress or a blank page, and apply yourself to getting something you can proudly report you did.
What you write, and how much you write is unimportant. The fact that you did so, sometime this week, is all that is important. The reason for this is that a little bit of work every week eventually adds up to finishing something.

We all know that new writing, is writing. We tend to forget, though, that editing is also writing, even if it is the work of someone else, or even critiquing the work of someone else. I tend to write by editing so after the rough, rough draft is done, I spend the rest of my time editing.
Poetry, world or character creation, blogging, technical writing, article writing, are also writing. E-mails can be also writing, as long as they pertain to story or writing, and are very wordy.

The amount of writing does not matter. If you write one word, and it is the right word, then you wrote. I happen to be in an editing mode, bringing the word count down to something publications might accept. My page count is going backwards. I am improving sentences and correcting parts, but I am eliminating a lot of good stuff as I go. Luckily, I have the original, in case I later wish to expand it into part of a novel.
Cutting is tough as there is so much good within it. They have to go though. Over the next couple weeks, my page counts will go down, rather than up.
I did finish another work. It is also too long, but it is easier to cut down. I was happy to write THE END. It ended at page 31 with 19160 words. I added 1669 words since last week.
This one will also need to be cut back for publication.

AS to the question of the day,
I can honestly say

YES, I DID WRITE

DID YOU WRITE?

No comments: