Monday, December 28, 2009

Still More 'CAT'ching up

This blog entry is brought to you by Max, who says, "Baby it's COLD outside!" Actually he was busy watching the birdfeeder in front of the house and resented that my presence was scaring off the prey...



For some reason, the bargain scarecrow I got at the craft store didn't make it into the last thrifting post. This fine fellow was a whopping $2 because I got him 75% off after Thanksgiving. My home has a country heart, so he will stay out year round. I have a scarecrow lady packed away somewhere. I should introduce them.


My pride and joy, my new 40" dual fuel kitchen range. It has 5 gas burners and two electric ovens, and the larger oven has an optional convection feature. Boy did that come in handy on Thanksgiving and for Christmas baking! I found the convection was a bit too much for the cookies, but it did a lovely job on my pies and turkey. It sure is nice having that extra burner and oven too. The small oven is very narrow, but an 8" cake pan will fit in there, and that is how we did our sweet potatoes - baked in foil and laid in a cake pan so they wouldn't drip all over. No more tucking them in around the bird, only to have them roll out and hit the bottom when you pull it out to baste.

The downstairs part of the house is an ongoing project, so yeah, there is no wall behind the stove right now, just the chimney and studding. No cabinets either, and only subflooring. I just work around it. :P


The last thrifting trip before Christmas was in early December. I got too busy to go out after that. On this one I scored on books. I have varied interests.


Found a couple more pieces of Corelle and some tableware. I like heavy older silverware and don't care if nothing matches. It's all about utility. We are a busy, active group, and we love to cook and eat. The green patterned plate did turn out to have a little chip, but it was not too noticeable. No worse than the ones I already have. The plates were bundled together with tape for $1.99 so I took a chance. I need more of those salad size plates because that is what I eat off of to control portions. I've lost over 60 lbs this year with that as one of my many tricks.


The Nestlé tin still had the dregs of flour inside, and that had gotten damp, so it is a bit icky even after washing. I will use it for some kind of dry storage, maybe something like pens or clothespins. I just loved the design. A good friend of mine who has passed on used to collect fancy tins and had them all on the exposed rafters of her country farmhouse. I just like having things around me that remind me of my life here.

Recently I was going through some old booklets the boys brought home from elementary school, reading about what is special about their mom for Mother's Day, and what our holiday traditions were. I was always a stay-at-home mom, and I love to cook and bake. Baking cookies was mentioned several times over the years by both sons. So I look at this tin and smile, because it brings back memories. And I still do bake cookies, especially at Christmas time. I will have an upcoming post about that too. *w*



Oooh, we have a Max-in-a-box. Actually I was working on a project, and Max hopped into my sewing box filled with embroidery notions and floss to take a nap. Yeah, that's me, in all my glory, sad looking hair and all. It is the end of the day, and I have it in my usual working ponytail, and it tends to frizz like that. My hair is long and unruly, and I don't care because I am too busy to get worked up about appearance most days. The box BTW is bamboo, and I got that at a local flea market a year or two ago for $5, and it came stuffed with all sorts of sewing and embroidery things.



This is one of Roger's hand carved owls that he gave me when he came up here for vacation this summer. Isn't it darling? It was watching me from on top of the TV in the livingroom, reminding me that I have a lot to do before Christmas. No pressure of course...


Well, she's done now! The first witch of the season, off the crochet assembly line. She was a fun project to do and I immediately wanted to do another, but got sidetracked by another mermaid doll talking to me. Hmm, what to name this one...???


This is the latest mermaid doll, also finished, the third one I've made. I didn't bother unravelling her hair, it looks very good the way it is. I think this is the best one yet. I have her facial expression the way I like it. I think her name is Aquarina...

The second mermaid went to live with Roger, a handmade gift in his Christmas box. I can tell you that now because he's long since opened it. Her name is Aurora, and she had the pearl of wisdom in her hands. The first mermaid I gave to Lee, since he collects mermaids. My friends are not hard to please, they are all crafters and understand how much work goes into these things.


And at the end of this post, Max again reminds us not to let the holiday rush stress you out too much. Take a cat nap when you need it, and you will feel much better afterward. *s*

No comments: