Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Some More Catching Up

I have been very busy lately, which is pretty normal at this time of year, so this blog post should have happened in mid November, but didn't. I do I have a good reason that I haven't been able post online very often - we have a new puppy! Below is Autumn, a female golden retriever, with #2 son Brian. She is just 12 weeks old in this picture, the day we brought her home. She has a collar but had never walked on a leash before so we used the harness on her and that worked out much better. Not all that tugging and choking.

In these latter years, housebreaking is a matter of catching her in time and getting her right outdoors. I don't do papers, except in her crate. We had some accidents, but we are prepared for that, and the carpeting is old. I see no sense in showing a dog that it is OK to use part of our home as a toilet and then having to train her later that it's not OK. Might as well do that from the start and be over with it. She is actually doing quite well with that.




Doesn't Autumn look comfy? As you can see she started out by getting very spoiled. My couch is old and saggy, so we let the dogs sleep up there. The old sheet protects the seat from coat oils and the big pillow can be tossed in the washer and dryer. Pet people will totally understand, and those who don't... well the dogs and cats are family members. I let my kids sit on the couch too. LOL I don't have furniture I can't live with. My house is decorated in Early American Shabby Flea Market Special.



Our lab Ranger has had a lot to adjust too lately. He lost his lifelong pal, and now this nippy little wooly blonde stranger has entered his life. He is a good natured dog but he does have his limits. We make sure Autumn doesn't terrorize him too long, and that he gets quiet time away from her as well as plenty of affection and personal attention. He loves accompanying us on walks or having supervised romps in the garden with her.

By evening she is winding down. Goldens are very intelligent dogs and moderately active, but all puppies love to run and play. She was totally exhausted in this picture, and making good use of the dog pillow. Good because I was totally exhausted too.

We got Autumn on Friday, November 6th, which was also her 12 week birthday. On Saturday evening, Autumn was showing signs of kennel cough and we had to separate her and Ranger. Fortunately it was very mild out and we could tie him outdoors for the evening. Kennel cough is airborne and contagious, and he had not been vaccinated. We brought Autumn back to the kennel we got her from and they treated her there for a week. We visited Autumn often, even though it was an hour drive away. We brought Ranger to our vet and she gave him a kennel cough booster. After her 7 days away were up, Autumn came home because she was feeling much better and Ranger was showing no signs of infection. They have been together ever since.

I think they will be best friends. *s*

Below was one of my late October/earlyNovember projects for crochet. It is a witch doll based on a pattern I found online. At this point, she has her clothing and some facial features, but no hair. I was surprised that she still could balance well enough to stand up on her own, though I wouldn't sneeze in that direction.


The dress didn't come out right because I misread the directions, but I improvised and it turned out OK. I think she is pretty darn cute.


The hat comes off and I'd like to keep it that way. She did eventually get some hair and a mouth.


This is Max, reclining on some my book collection in the bedroom. He is here to remind you that the holidays can be stressful so don't be afraid to take a nap. Good advice Max!


A November thrifting stop yielded these goodies. I gave the snowman pin to my mother. The serving spoon is big and sturdy, we used it on Thanksgiving. I used the knife several times, it takes a nice edge.


Lee and I ran to the craft store again. I needed to hit the pet store nearby and had a coupon for 40% off one regular priced item. I chose the crimping pliers because they are pretty expensive (about $13) and that was all I really needed. I wanted the copper wire and saw the metal skeletonized leaves and immediately thought they'd make great fairy wings. I think I showed amazing self control. I knew I had Christmas shopping to do.


Merlin and Mischief watching the birds at the feeder out front. At this point in November it was still mild out and the forsythia bush leaves had yellowed but not dropped yet. Big weather changes since then.


A lovely late fall sunset. You can't imagine how much better this looks in person. Like the sky was painted with fire. Look at the glow on my house!

Doesn't that make you want to read or write some poetry?
I'm so glad I live in the country...


Here's my little witch with her hair and her crooked little smile. If she had glasses, she would look just like me. My hair is not that curly, but it does have a wave, and it is close to my natural color. Her eyes are green like mine too. I don't think I can part with this one.



She looks good with her hat off too. I want it to remain removable. I might make a hatpin for her to keep it in place. I think she could use a witchy pendant though.


This is Autumn after she came back home, resting on the couch on one of the dog pillows. She is happy to be back with us, and her big buddy Ranger.


Not sure how happy Ranger is to have Autumn back, but he does play with her. He is all tuckered out after a day of being chased all over the house and yard.

Make sure you cuddle up near someone you care about too.

No comments: