Sunday, August 6, 2017

Year 17, Week 26, Day One (week 912)

Year 17, Week 26, Day One (week 912)
(January 17, 2000 was my first carving day.)
07-08-17 Saturday

Blue skies for the most part. Twice, clouds and thunder heads built up over the Everglades only to head west. We are at the edge of the Tropic of Cancer. That is a band of winds that head to the west continuously. Most of our winds head to the north and west. Farther up the state, they head to the east. This weather report is brought to you by the City Of Pompano Beach Department Of Tourism.


Mom needed to get one thing, so she decided to drive the yard sales. I rode along.  We do have different styles for hunting for yards sales. We skip sections that others would visit.

At one yard sale, I walked away after the woman ordered me to leave because of the puddle of drool I left. She had an old style clothes iron where you put the hot coals in the body and they would keep the iron hot. She also had a really nice condition meat grinder, a little bigger than the two I had. I fought long and hard to get both. I have no need or place for either, but they were really interesting.
At another yard sale, I asked, out of curiosity, how much a commercial deli slicer was worth. Next thing I knew I was setting it on the seat of the car. I have no idea what had happened. I have two meat slicer bodies that use the same motor. The nice thing about them is that except for the motor, the whole thing can be put in dishwater and really scrubbed.  This new one is heavy, bulky and looks harder to clean. Now I have to figure out what to do with it. Once in a while, we all make mistakes. I was able to go on line and download all the documentation for the machine. This will get thinner than the slicers I have as the “knife” as they call the blade, is not serrated. I would have been much happier with the meat grinder than this. 

After we got back, the garage door repair guy arrived. He replaced all the wheels. He said he would schedule for replacing the pulley wheels, where at least one is shot. Expensive, but won’t have to be done again for a while. 

I had picked up a case of sports drinks a while back and had emptied most of the bottles. They have helped in the heat and humidity we have had.  It then dawned on me that I should use those water bottle flavorings. I knew I used to have a bunch but could not remember what happened to them. I planned on going to Walmart to stock up on them as they help when it is really hot. I accidentally opened a cabinet in the kitchen I seldom go into and found them. I cleaned and filled half the bottles of the case and refilled them with flavored water. Nice. A pitcher fills three of the bottles.

I will have to see what I do tomorrow.





Year 17, Week 26, Day Two (week 912)
(January 17, 2000 was my first carving day.)
07-09-17 Sunday

I cleaned the BBQ today. It came apart a lot more than I thought it had. I could have done a better job last time (the first time) I used it. The drip pan comes out, which I did not know. I used a trash can filled with soapy water to scrub everything, changing the water a couple times. My nephew had heated it before he started and the thermostat on the lid said it got up to 600 degrees. That will be hot enough to make sure it is clean if he does that again next time. 

We went out for lunch at JBIRD’S MUDDY WATERS again, and we ate our fill. I liked my dish better this time than the first time.  I had a side of wings and a shrimp/chicken pasta dish.
We went to Walmart to get some groceries. I will tell you, it is no fun shopping for groceries when you are overfull.  I left there with only a flavored coffee. Nothing fun to have. 

I generally use a webbed belt with a slip buckle. The end of one started unraveling. I had to cut the thread to keep it from getting worse. I sat down and carefully cut the end off with one of my favorite kitchen knives as it was sharp enough to make a clean cut. They come with a metal tip that clamps on the end. Those tips come off fairly quickly. I located one and attached it properly. The belt ended up about two inches shorter, but that is not a problem as I get a bit longer belts than needed. 

I examined the slicer a bit more, using the instructions. Nice machine, but I really don’t plan on using it much. It is really for cheese and deli meats. The way that raw meat splatters and drips, it is not really a raw meat slicer.  I saw on line that these slicers are listed starting at $400 and goes up to two grand. Of course, that says nothing about what they actually get for them. It is just what they are listed for. I would rather pass it on to someone who can use it effectively. I might use it for some things, but that will only be a few times a year.

I will see what I accomplish next week.

939

meat slicer

No comments: