Friday, December 4, 2015

Year 13, Week 42, Day One (week 688)

Year 13, Week 42, Day One (week 688)
(January 17, 2000 was my first carving day.)
11-27-15 Friday

76 early morning, 81 in the afternoon. Half blue skies, lots of puffs of clouds that were good for looking for shapes in the clouds. The hat-removing strong wind of yesterday calmed down a bit today. This weather report is brought to you by the City Of Pompano Beach Department of Tourism.

We went to the Cracker Barrel Restaurant and Country Store. This is the place that has antique stuff hanging from the ceiling. It is always a lot of drool. I mean fun looking at the stuff they have on display. Mom and Dad were pointing out things they used as kids. That was fun. We do have some of the wood working tools that were on display on the walls. Also I have some of the kitchen stuff. In the store, they have cast iron pans on display. They are the new ones they have for sale, but since they could well have been used “back then,” they fit. 

After Breakfast, I had to do some business with several stops. When I got back, Mom and Dad were napping so I laid down also. I woke a couple hours later and decided to head home.
I started the crock pot with Thanksgiving Turkey Bones after I got home and the place smelled great the rest of the day. 

I have several projects I want to work on. I will have to see what happens tomorrow.

Year 13, Week 42, Day One (week 688)
(January 17, 2000 was my first carving day.)
11-28-15 Saturday

79 degrees early morning, 85 in the afternoon. I had thought there might be some showers coming in as I saw some dots north of us but they never showed up and became a great day. Saw some good shapes in the clouds. In spite of all the clouds, it was sunny for most of the morning. The breeze was gentle at times, but gusted enough to knock things over at a couple yard sales.  This weather report is brought to you by the City Of Pompano Beach Department of Tourism.

After Breakfast, I went out on my own for yard sailing. The first section I drove through, had nothing. I wondered if the questionable weather might keep people from setting up. Also, since it is a holiday weekend, I figured people might not bother on setting up. 
I was wrong. In the second section of our usual rabbit runs, I found several sales. At one, I found some items that were dirt cheep but usable. One was a cutting board that was coming apart. I figured I might be able to repair it. I left with some good items that can be quite usable. 
At the beginning of the third section, the sale was inside the house. The guy had moved into a house on the Inter-coastal that has mostly glass(windows)  walls. The stuff he had on display was from several of his homes he had all over the country. I saw a drawer set that caused me to drool. The front drawers bubbled out and was filled with inlay. Several of the many paintings were impressive and would be nice to show off on a wall (if I had a bare wall to display them on, that is). There were statuary in various materials that were excellent. The guy doing the selling appeared to be a broker and he told about buying many of these things years ago. 
There was a carousel horse there. It was in good condition. Someone asked the price and I thought it was cheap, but not in my budget. While there was a lot of stuff I would love to have, I walked out without getting anything. There was nothing else in that section or the forth section.
In the fifth section was one yard sale. They guy tends to have a yard sale each month. He had out a cook book I had wanted a few months ago but skipped getting it. He rotates his stock each time so I did not see the book until today. I snapped it up. The book is called INGREDIENTS. It has a picture of everything that is used in cooking and tells what it is and mentions how it is used. It is surprising how much stuff is used in cooking. The pictures are great to look at even if one never used it for cooking.

Sorry the book is sideways

When I got home, I went outside and took the rod I turned all the balls on for snowman ornaments last weekend. I cleared the space in front of the bandsaw and cut the pieces out of the stick. I then used the dedicated disk sander to flatten the bottom and round the tops. 
The disk sander needs a new sanding disk. I could have cleared the lathe and use the sanding disk on that, but decided it was not worth the effort.
I worked glue in the cracks of the cutting board I picked up, and then clamped them as tight as I could. It has to dry overnight before I can see sand it and see how I did.
I set up the table and took out my carving basket and then looked at the project. I realized I needed to go to the drill press, get the dremmel out. Locate my large skewers and cut them to length and glue them into the drill holes, and then take yarn and, after glueing them on the heads and then unravel the yarn into hair....... I decided I was not in the mood to go much farther and packed up. 

The clamped up cutting board with snow figures sitting on it. I never took pictures of them sanded.

After I was done cleaning up, Mom asked me if I wanted to go to the store. We hit Walmart, then the dollar store (like yard sailing but for new stuff) and then went for lunch.

When we got back, I took a nap. I woke thinking about the teddy bears I was making a couple months ago. I dug them out and worked on two of them. One I did the whole face and  finished stuffing it. The second teddy bear already had a nose but I had to add eyes before I finished stuffing it and sewing it up.  I have two more teddy bears to finish up.
It was nice to get these two teddy bears done. The second one did not quite come out right. The ears are not even, but I know it will find some love. 

That finished my day.  I will see what I do tomorrow.

Teddy bears. I fixed the left one, but it still did not come out as well as I had hoped. It will get some love anyway.

Year 13, Week 42, Day One (week 688)
(January 17, 2000 was my first carving day.)
11-28-15 Saturday

79 early morning 85 in the afternoon, sunny all day. Shaped Puffs everywhere, good wind made it feel cooler than in the air conditioning. This weather report is brought to you by the City Of Pompano Beach Department of Tourism.

I sanded the cutting board. I used the sanding disk on my lathe. The dedicated disk sander needs a new sanding disk. It spins extremely fast and tends to be used for just about anything, even stuff one should not use a disk sander for. 
The lathe is a whole lot slower and I can use the whole disk if needed, which I wanted to use for this project. 
My glue job is not the best it could be, but this cutting board is something I can use. What I really needed to do was to pop it apart and re-glue it properly. It could be done some other time but I doubt I will. The separation of the joints was why I got it so cheep. If it really came to it, I could use the wood for other projects, but for now, it is a usable cutting board. 

My brother, I and Dad talked trucks until it was time to go. 

Mom gave me some ideas for Christmas Ornaments, and so did a friend. I usually bring my ornaments to work on December 1st for display. I have no new ornaments this year. I might wait a day or so before I bring them to work. I will work on some ornaments, but mainly for use next year, not planning them for this year. 

I understand there is something going on next weekend with our family so I doubt I will get anything done. 

I will have to see what happens next weekend.

No comments: