Sunday, November 24, 2013

Year 14, Week 44, Day One (week 690)

Year 14, Week 44, Day One (week 690)
(January 17, 2000 was my first carving day.)
11-23-13 Saturday
    78 degrees loads of clouds with lots of sun, light breeze. This weather report is brought to you by the City Of Pompano Beach department of Tourism.
    On the yard sailing front, I hit quite a few.
    Mom had given me all her Manolta Camera equipment. I had an SRT-101 camera that has a good battery and still works. I visited a Elk's Club yard sale before it was officially opened and a woman had an SRT-201 Manolta camera and a couple lenses. I made a low offer to her for the camera. She decided to wait for the show to go on. I said I would drop by later in the day, before the close, and if they still had the camera, she would sell me the whole set for the price I asked for. I passed by there and did not really have time to stop and buy it. This is one of things where I would kick myself if I purchased it, and will kick myself for not getting it. It was a LIKE TO HAVE, not a WANT or a NEED.
    At another yard sale, I saw a few small skeins of yarn were sitting lonely in a bin. They came home with me. I am learning that even if you have two life-times worth of yarn, you never have enough. What I have to do is not buy any yarn unless it is the right color or the right material. I am interested in wool or cotton, and in bright colors such as yellow, orange, green. Usually what people are getting rid of is their earth tones.
    We went and got the wedding cake. We were a little early and was able to watch them decorate it. This was at a Publix Store that was a superstore, bigger than the big store I normally go to. It was a good walk on the isles. The flowers we were getting there were not ready. The white roses had not arrived yet.
    We took the cake to where the wedding reception was going to happen at. I helped taste test the sandwiches and a few other things.
    One problem they had was they had several trays of sandwiches that had to go into the fridge without getting smashed as they were stacked. They had little containers of cherry tomatoes. I suggested that sandwiches in the middle be removed and the container be put in the center to hold up the next platter. It worked perfectly.
    Mom worked with the decorations of the hall.
    I got a lot of crochet done, several rows on a five foot long scarf. It is coming along nicely. It would be nice to have it done before Christmas. Long before would be really good.
    Before we went for the cake, Mom went to a hair appointment and found her stylist was in the hospital. She was able to get a later appointment with another stylist.
    She had left when I went out to pet and feed the kitties, and she came back before I was done. Momma kitty loves attention. Scarface is still hanging around, but he is looking healed now. He will jump down from the work bench where we feed him on his own. His leg is a lot better. He does not beg for attention like Momma kitty, but he certainly does appreciate it.
    Mom went and got her flowers while I napped, and then got her hair done. By then it was time to get ready for the wedding. The suit I got a few weeks ago fit nicely and I was complimented on how I looked.
    I drove separately and that was when I went past the Elk's club yard sale for the second time.  My feet still twitch a little on the urge to kick myself. Not quite but the urge is there.
    The wedding was very simple, but really well done. We had practice last night and both the ministers and us were figuring out what was going to happen and how. Things changed as we were working with it. The placement of the soloist moved from before the ceremony to near the end and the result was natural.
    Mom gave me her camera and I shot a whole bunch of pictures of the event after I gave her away. This was Mom's wedding, by the way. This was one really impressive wedding. I am really proud.
    After the wedding and pictures, we went to the site of the reception. The decorations, as guided by Mom, was simple but very effective. the food was great. One of the women doing the food had training in cooking and she said she was not in shape to do it commercially. It was a whole lot of work.
    I took pictures of everybody there. There were people who could not make it to the wedding that was there, and there were people at the wedding that could not make it to the reception.
    At the end of the day, I was wore out. both my legs were bothering me from all the standing and walking around, and my back did not like it either.
    While I did not get any woodworking done, I did get some crochet done and really had a good day.
    Tomorrow, I am staying home other than a run to a few stores. No wood working and I am pretty sure there won't be any crochet done. I will have to see what gets done tomorrow.
Year 14, Week 44, Day Two (week 690)
(January 17, 2000 was my first carving day.)
11-24-13 Sunday
    High 70s or Low 80s, light breeze, mostly sunny. This weather report is brought to you by the City Of Sunrise Department of Tourism.
    Last night before I went to bed, I took some frozen bread dough out of the freezer and stuck it into the fridge to thaw.
Early this morning, I did an experiment I have wanted to do. I used my frozen dough as the yeast starter for a new batch of dough. Since it is cooler today than the last time I made bread, it took longer for it to rise, but is working nicely. This was how bread was made before instant yeast. You kept some of the bread dough from the night before to start the rising of the new bread.
    I split the dough into portions, two small bread pans, and some for cinnamon rolls. I also kept a couple pieces which are now in the freezer to start the next batch.
    I have no idea if this is the right way to make the cinnamon rolls as I basically winged it. It is the way I am making it. If it does not work, I will be the only one who has to eat it. At the moment, the bread and rolls are sitting to rise up before they get baked.
    I went to Home Depot to get some new blinds for my windows. The one in the kitchen will be easy to change out as everything can be moved. The one in the train room will be tough as the train table and a lot of junk is in the way. I cannot climb, or do very little of it and I am thinking that climbing will be necessary to install the window shade.
    Next weekend is Thanksgiving. I will have a little bit of time to do some work, but whether any will get done will have to be seen. I have no idea what is planned, and I also have no idea what the weather will actually be, though they are saying it will be nice.
I really need to finish up some ornaments. The penguins need a coat of varnish to be called done. The four leaping fish I had made will need to be painted. I could use a few more penguins, but doubt I will get them even started, let alone done.
    I will have to see what I actually do next weekend.

No comments: