Monday, November 7, 2011

11-07-11 Did You Write?

11-07-11 Did You Write?

It that time of the week again, that time that some people dread. It is time to report what one has done in writing for the week. Others, it is a non-event, but hopefully one will post anyway to brag or inspire others to work equally hard.

As to what is writing, all new writing is writing. Editing, is also writing even if it is the work of others. Critiquing is writing also. Writing assignments, technical writing, blogging, article writing, world and character creation is also writing. Bulletin board posts and E-mails can also be writing if they are very wordy and pertain to writing or story. Of course, other things can be considered writing, and many of us might not look at some of these things as writing. If you have to ask if it is writing, our answer is yes.

As to writing, I can honestly say yes, I did write. I am in the process of editing, improving, solving questions on my first Spirit of vengeance story, trying to make it publishable. My main project was to add detail that explained what was going on and why. I have also added scenes and then removed others, including new scenes I added when I realized it was either not going to work, or to make it work was going to take a tremendous amount of effort.
It appears that each work I do, or each pass of a work I do, pushes my skills above what it was before. I guess this is a sign that I need more experience in writing *even though I have been writing in some form or another for a decade) since everything I am doing appears to be an improvement over what I did before. I do know that my final editing skills are woefully inadequate when it comes to the final sentence structure.
One thing I do know, is that this Spirit story is not what I started with. My original concept was a super hero that had no qualms of collateral damage. That is not the story I have now. The reason my character got into the situation and basic plot remains, but at least at this moment, the original concept is fading away.
I somehow added fun.
I have learned there is an advantage to be able to make one's owns tools, is that one knows how to fix it, how to change it to do the work needed, and how to make it better. I have purchased tools and have been afraid to do something with them because I was afraid to damage them. On the other hand, because I have made a tool, I know how to fix them or because I can make it again, I am willing to change them for what is needed. Of course I will figure out how to use this knowledge in stories some time or another.

As to the question of the day,
I can honestly say,

YES I DID WRITE

DID YOU WRITE?

No comments: