Monday, November 22, 2010

Did You Write? Nov. 22, 2010

Did You Write? Nov. 22, 2010

It is that time of the week again. The time to announce whether your accomplishments, cry about your failures, and otherwise tell about what is going on in your life.
The hope is that you see this note coming and can get yourself to open some work in progress and attempt to work on it. We don't care how much you do, or what you work on, as long as you work on it. Instead of writing once every few months, one can get into writing every week, which can possibly become every day.

We all know that new writing is writing. Editing is also writing, even if it is the work of someone else. Critiquing is also writing. Poetry, technical reports, blogging writing assignments, character or world creation are all also writing. E-mails can even be writing if they pertain to story or writing and are wordy. If you have to ask if it is writing, the answer is yes.

Working on removing words from the Waxy dragon story. I am very disappointed. I have worked my way half way through and have only removed a thousand words. I need to remove fifteen thousand words. Mostly what I have done was sentence tightening. I am gong to have to hack up one very long scene and see about removing some others that are choice. I know I can remove scenes later in the story but not enough wordage. This is harder than making a story longer. I put a lot of work on the scenes I created and now I am going to have to kill my pride and joys. As far as I have gone, I now have a better idea of what I have so I now have a good picture of what I can get away with.


On the story idea front, I am doing well so far I am posting idea twenty three tonight and it is the twenty second as I write this. Of course we have the holidays so I could well lose that extra idea by getting home late.

I carve Christmas ornaments each year. I try to do four new designs each year, and carve a dozen of each. This year, I knew one design early on and just had to start making them. I lucked on seeing a second design in a catalogue. I have since fretted as to what to do as the third and fourth designs. this past week, I looked in some magazines for carving and saw a couple ideas that sparked an interest. I also got an idea from someone who was listing possible ideas which I had already done. I got a sixth idea from ornaments I found in a yard sale. The last two might be for next year, but not this one.
It was fun to have the concept pop into my mind as "yes, that will work. I made test pieces which required my wood turning abilities to rough them out. The results are quite acceptable. They are somewhat similar but that is not a problem. I now have to carve the rest of the set of each and I will be ready for the holidays.

As to the question of the week,
I can proudly say,

YES, I DID WRITE

DID YOU WRITE?

No comments: