Monday, November 8, 2010

Did you Write? 11-08-10

Did you Write? 11-08-10

Among us are people who write every day no matter what. We like hearing from these people. The hope of this note is to get everybody to that point. This note is really for those who write rarely, maybe several times a year rather than several times a month.
One is supposed to reply to this note, whether you wrote or not. tell about what is going on in your life, especially if it stopped you from writing. You will see this note coming each week. The desire to say "Yes I wrote," might overcome the situations keeping you from writing. do this each week and eventually, a project will crop up that will get you excited, to write regularly and suddenly you go from a writer, to a WRITER.

We don't care what you write or how much. The idea is that you make the effort to at least open some work, in progress or new.
Word counts don't matter. I am editing a piece and have to cut the word count in half. I've been known to write less than a page in a week before I got this exciting project to work on. Word count is unimportant.

What one writes is also unimportant. It can be poetry, blogging, technical writing, articles, character or world development. E-mails can be writing, as long as they pertain to story or writing, and are wordy.
New writing is always writing. Editing is also writing, even if it is the work of someone else. Crits are also writing. As mentioned, when editing, word counts can drop, rather than grow.

the hope is that you write something, anything, during the week. Report your success or failures as a way to push yourself into writing more often.

As for me, I finished FOUND WAXY. the second story in the Waxy Dragon series. Weee! The problem is that it is twice the word count allowed. I have to cut out all the fluff and tighten up the action to the best of my ability. I can tell you that it is not going to be easy. I do know that I can remove four pages from the end, but that is nowhere near enough. Some action might have to be lost in the process. Will have to see.
From the original form of the story to this one, I only removed 4530 words. Yuck. It is a better story but still. Now to cut it in half without losing a good story.

On the story idea front. Including the note I am posting tonight, I have 46 story ideas in my compost pile. I have been lucky the past week in that I have not had to go deeper than great notes I have come up with in the past week or so. the deeper one goes into the pile, the harder it is to write them. There is a reason they sink down.
I am a little ahead for the week because I will be missing a couple days soon. It is better to be ahead than to have to catch up.
there are many reasons I have not given up these story ideas for actual writing, though it would help in adding a half hour a day. One is that it is pure pleasure to get a great concept, write it out complete, at least to tell what the story is about, and then let the concept stew until one needs it.
There is a bit of pride in keeping up the pace of an idea a day. There is the hope that someone might find an idea that is interesting and write it. I would rather all these good ideas not go to waste so I post them in hopes all of them get used in some way. Also, ideas is something that needs exercising and it is good to keep them coming. It is also just fun.
When a thought appears in my mind, I try to write it down as quickly as possible, whether it belongs in the compost pile or is a masterpiece of a concept. I get it noted, then will decide whether there is something better to post when I open up my word processor to write it. there are times where I will write it first, just because I don't want it to sink into oblivion, but usually, I find better pieces and the concept slowly descends into the pile.

As to the question of the day,
I can honestly say,

YES, I DID WRITE!

DID YOU WRITE?

No comments: