Monday, May 17, 2010

05-17-2010, Did You Write?

05-17-2010, Did You Write?

The question of the week, of course every week with this note, every week is, DID YOU WRITE any time this week? Many of us have problems opening our works in progress sometime during the month, let alone during the week. this note is to act as a prompt to get each of us to write SOMETHING during each week.
The idea of this note is for you to announce your writing progress, whether you wrote or not. During the following week, you think about having to announce your writing or lack of writing. In a way, it is to shame yourself into put down some words so you can say you wrote when you report.
I can speak from experience, that it does help, even just a little, to actually open a work in progress just so I can say I wrote. I also will work hard to come up with a viable excuse as to why I did not write. Rest assured, I know of no one keeping rack. this is really for YOU. It helps others who read the notes as to knowing that others are not writing, or others are writing, and how little or how much is written. Again, I know of no one keeping track of how much each person writes. One word, if it is the right word, would pass as writing, just as sixty pages would count.

WE all know that new writing, is writing. I know of no one who disagrees with that. Editing, though, is also writing, since few of us can write perfectly first time. I write many times by editing, getting the rough story in place and then expanding it as I edit, adding description, detail, dialog, action, as I go. Because of this, I consider editing as writing, even if it is the work of someone else. Even Crits are writing as it is a form of editing.
Poetry, technical writing, writing assignments, blogging, articles, are also writing. World and character building is also writing. E-mails can also be writing if there is a lot of words and they pertain to story or writing. In reality, if YOU think it is writing, we will accept that as writing.

AS for me, I can say, Yes, I did write. I am in an writing by editing. My actual word count has not changed too much.
I have a section where points of view are alternated, you see what one is doing, then what the other is doing, back and forth. It dawned on me I that I had some problems showing up with timing and spacing. They are introducing different parts of the world, so this foundation will be fully established for later stories.
To solve this problem of bad timing between actions, I copied each character's points of views into separate files. My plan is to write each point of view all the way through. I will combine them later at proper spacing points so their time lines will meet up properly.

On the story idea front, With tonight's post, I am up to date, I will fall behind later this week due to a meeting. I will have time to catch up later this month.
I am surprised with my production this week on adding to my compost pile. My count came up to 62 story ideas. I have been coming up with two and three ideas on some days this past week. I can tell you, this is fun. One good thing is when the ideas stop, I will have some good stuff to work with for quite a while.

So for the question of the week,
I can say

YES, I DID WRITE.

DID YOU WRITE?

No comments: