Sunday, November 15, 2009

Woodworking Week 514

year 9, Week 44, Day One (week 514) (January 17, 2000 was my first carving day.) 11-14-09 Saturday

75 degrees, 60 degrees early morning, nice breeze, clear blue skies, Perfect day to be out in the open.

Mom decided to have a yard sale so I helped her get the stuff out so she could set up. A bit later, I dug out my carving stuff and tools along with several chairs. I set up facing west. Except for the first bit of time after I set up, The low sun kept me in the shade of a coconut tree. The trunk itself is about four foot tall and the fronds stuck up to about twelve feet. That was plenty to throw a lot of shade to us on the north side of the tree.
Mom and the neighbor moved several times to get back into the shade but I never even considered moving.

The cat acted sweet, ALMOST like a real cat. I did not get to spend a lot of time with him. I did spend some good time with him, though. The hard part is knowing what he is enjoying and when he stops. A slight change in what I am doing can have a big effect.

My main project was to shape the swan blanks I already have made. I broke the wing of one swan twice, glued it back together and after it dried for a wile continued carving. There is some touch ups I need to do, but the swans do look good.
I carved the last owl blank I had so all my owls are done. except the eye on this one.
I messed around with a few other pieces I had to work on. Some pine pieces needed sanding which turned out to be serious sanding. I will need to spend more time sanding on them. One piece I made, I need to set it back in the lathe to fix it. That will be a challenge to get it set right to correct the problems.

I have a goblet that the bowl is tipped. I think I know how that happened. When I was making it, It was wobbling as I made the stem. That wobble became cut into the piece.
I have four choices. Leave it as it is, leave it tipped, but straighten the rim of the bowl to the tip, soak the piece and then straighten the bowl and dry it that way, cut the stem off and make it into a flower. I will try the soaking first and decide what to do once that works or fails. It will make a good tulip if all else fails.

Tomorrow will likely be making blanks for Christmas ornaments. My brother might not come up so I really have no idea what is planned or will happen.

Will see what I do tomorrow.


year 9, Week 44, Day Two (week 514) (January 17, 2000 was my first carving day.) 11-14-09 Sunday

80 degrees, blue sky, The brisk breeze was not warm but the sun was. Early morning was 82 degrees, but I was not out until it was in the mid 70s. This weather report is brought to you by the City Of Pompano Department Of Tourism.

Mom had a yard sale again. She was already set up when I got there. I helped her pack up at the end of the day.

I accused Mom of swapping cats on me again. he was in such a good mood that one could almost think he was a real cat, instead of an attitude in the body of a cat. I spent quite a bit of time petting him.

I put some wood into the lathe and started turning blanks for my owls. I had asked mom which ones she liked best and was copying it. I had marked the wood for four owls. It seamed like the wood and my tools were fighting each other. By the time I had finished the first owl blank, I decided that It was not going to work for an owl. I use the corner points for part of the design and they took a horrible beating. I decided I was going to do something else, hoping that next week works out better. Everybody will have days like that.

I made three swan blanks. How one orients the figurine in the square stick effects how it looks. the first swans I cut were in the two by two sticks in a way where the wood laid flat as it passed into the bandsaw. That is stable and safe.
I decided to try cutting the swan on an angle so the corners of the stick were down on the table of the bandsaw. I had to cut a couple wedges and make sure they were at forty five degrees, so I could hold it in place. I sliced close, on both sides of the high corner to make the neck. I cut curves from the sides to the base of the neck to make the wings. I then turned the piece to the side and shaped the head and neck, and again cut curves of the wings, plus I cut the tail. I made a few other cuts to remove as much wood as I could. The rest was knife cuts to finish the swan.
I liked the effect, but working with the wood unstable like that bothered me. If in doubt, don't.
I then cut another blank, using the design changes I made in the angled piece, but this time with the stick flat on the table. The cuts were easier to do. I sat and carved that swan. When I put them side by side, there really was little difference between them in size and design.
I then made a third blank, again flat, but decided the day was over and never carved it. That is for next time.
I need to make about seven more of these and then several of the swans with the curved necks.

It was a pretty good day overall. I now can make a better looking swan because of my experiments.

I have a turning club meeting Thursday. I want to get my face vase presentable for the meeting. It won't be right, but I am happy with presentable.
I have a few pieces that need work too. A couple ornaments I had started last week needs some sanding and varnish.
Next week I have more ornaments to make and to get to work on some presents too. Mom intends to visit yard sales so I have no idea how much woodworking I will actually get to do.

Will see next week.

No comments: