Tuesday, November 3, 2009

More thrifting and crochet...

Yeah, I've been at it again... *G*

The day after my anniversary, which was Saturday the 24th, Lee and I had to go out shopping. I decided we would go back to the Salvation Army store in our area. That was the last place Frank (OH) and I had stopped before we went out to dinner. I had seen a ceramic latch seal canister there with a removable label (it had a slot) that was haunting me, and I wanted to see if they still had it. I thought I'd have some fun changing the labels for the holidays to things like EYE OF NEWT, TURKEY WATTLES, and SNOWMAN BALLS. Ok, so I am a bit weird, but it sounded like fun. Unfortunately it was gone, but I did find a few more things I liked. I always find things I like...

Everything here is in the condition it came home in. I usually take the pictures as is. When you thrift, things are often dirty, taped together, and have price stickers to remove. Not everything is in like-new condition. You have to look past the flaws to see the diamond in the rough.

I had seen the relish dish below when I was there with Frank, and for some reason we didn't take it. It is so pretty, the designs are both molded and etched in. Not a chip on it. I grabbed it this time. I thought about making it a gift, but I don't think I will part with it.



Lightning strikes again...

Remember the French glass bowl I mentioned I got there last time? The one that was just like mine that I had for years and had never seen another one? Well, they had put out yet another one, so now I have three of them. They are really nice bowls too, deep and heavy. Mine has seen a lot of use, I was thrilled to get this third one. Two of them are now packed away for the holidays.

You can just barely make out the label here. This is quality glassware though.


I spied this shelf in the midst of a bunch of furniture and had to move a ton of stuff to get to it. It does need repair and I want a back on it, but I love the design, very country. I have a lot of little collectibles and am always looking for some way to display them.




This jar was originally side-by-side with the one I came back looking for, but was sitting alone and forsaken when I found it. It needs a serious cleaning, but I do like that cobalt color and the squat shape. It yells 'country' to me whenever you see wire bail closures.


And the inside was filled with old tea bags, so someone loved this thing at one time and it likely was donated after a death. No, I don't find that idea morbid, I think it would be comforting to know someone was going to actually want to make use of my worldly effects after I've left this mortal plane. Those teabags have been added to the compost pile with a prayer for whomever used to love tea and that little canister too.





Aren't these the cutest little canisters you've ever seen? They have some minor edge shipping that I will touch up, but I thought they'd be cute as part of a holiday display.




I really scored on books this time. All of these are for my personal library. Anything that turns out not to be memorable will be read and donated again or given away. I have a lot of reading friends. When you consider I paid under $9 for all of them it isn't such a bad deal.





Later on in the week, Frank and I went back to another Salvation Army where we had seen a piece of furniture we wanted a closer look at. That particular item didn't turn out to be what we wanted, but at his suggestion we did hit the rest of the thrift shops in that area again. We actually went to the restaurant supply place again first, as I wanted to see if they had more of the large bus tubs. The gray one I got previously had turned out to be very handy for mixing large batches of potting soil. I did a lot of repotting of what were once outdoor plants last week, and remixed the salvaged soil with fresh ingredients to keep it going.
As you can see, I did find more tubs. Only one has the drain holes, but that should not be a huge problem - I do my potting in the cellar. Yeah they are yucky with grease and kitchen gook, but some pine cleaner and a couple of good rinses took most of that off. You have to be willing to roll up your sleeves on some of this stuff.

Got this tray there too, it is very big (and also very dirty). I'll use it for moving plants in and out in the spring. I never have enough room under the plant lights in the cellar. I paid $5.50 for all three, and they remembered me and asked how the first tub worked out for my potting soil.





A hodgepodge of items from Salvation Army and Goodwill. Another ceramic canister with a wire bail, this one in black. I do have the cork to the Laughs & Giggles jar and the other one says Hopes & Dreams. The little lantern lady reminds me very much of a recurring dream, so I had to have her. The fairy was a find, she was buried in a tub of housewares awaiting me to release her.




Frank grabbed the Cornflower Blue Pyrex loaf pan because he and his mother collect that stuff. He also got the pitcher, which is very tarnished silver plate. The rest is mine. The clear glass Pyrex dish replaces one that blew up in my oven a few weeks back. The little stainless steel prep bowl will come in handy. I put the ovenware ramekins away for now but I can see them filled with custard.





The lighthouse candleholder does have a minor chip on the edge of the roof of the keeper's house, but I can make that less noticeable. That is going into a neighbor's Christmas basket along with a nice votive candle.




I found the shelf with the towel rack and Frank found the pumpkin sign. I will likely use the bar for something besides hanging towels, don't want wet stuff ruining the finish. Maybe drying herbs?

The floor lamp was Frank's big score of the week. He paid $20 for it but this is a very heavy, well made quality piece. We do lack good lighting in much of the older part of the house, so it was a welcome find. Please ignore my yucky floor and dust, that is in the older part of the house and everything is pretty tawdry in that section. The lamp was too heavy for me to carry upstairs and get you a purtier setting.



That was it for the last two thrifting trips. We spent some money for sure, but had a ball. It is hard to get Frank enthusiatic about anything, he works so many hours he is always tired. He is so psyched up from these adventures now, he is talking about possibly hitting one of the indoor flea markets on Sunday. I am glad to see him getting his mind off work and onto something else for a change. Lee and I do this as often as the opportunity presents itself and we can afford to browse. It is cheap shopping and you never know what you will find.


This is the second mermaid doll, who has yet to be named. The colors are just a bit different from the first one and I cut her hair shorter by accident. I wound up sewing the pearl into her hands to keep them turned the right way, since I messed up and made the thumbs on the wrong side. I'm not thrilled with her face, but I tried... I like the crown she has, notice the beaded falls in the back? All told, I think she turned out rather well even with all the goof ups. The pattern I wrote seems to be working just fine.
So that is it for this post. I have a new crochet project I am working on, and some other show & tell to do and we have also had the sad loss of a beloved pet - all things I will write about next time.

No comments: