Monday, November 2, 2009

Did You Write? November First, two thousand and Nine.

Did You Write? November First, two thousand and Nine.

Greetings and salutations on this ominous day. It is the time to announce to the world on one's productivity or lack of it.
This note is to prompt you to write. You know the note is coming at the same time of the week. You want to say you accomplished something and would rather not confess a failed week, so you will sit down for a few minutes and write, to produce something, to brag that you are a writer.
What is writing, will always be a debate. How many words one must produce in order to say you wrote, will also be up for debate. I will admit, as many of you have seen, that producing a paragraph of new text counts for me as writing.
Editing, even if it is someone else's work, is also writing, along with poetry, Blogging, technical writing, world and character building as long as something gets on paper. Even E-mails can be writing if it is wordy and pertains to writing or story. It is really up to you.

I can say I did write. I added four pages and 2,707 words to my waxy birth story, all new scenes and most everything here after is also new. This is exciting writing. A lot of it is being worked out as I write it. One thing I really should do, but don't know if I will, is to create a map of the land. It would help.

I finished last month's story ideas with the requisite 31 story ideas for the month. I wrote 45 pages of drivel, equaling 26,798 words. The beauty of all that is that it is never the same piece of work. It is hard to get tired of it.
I finished the month doing those story concepts where I converted my activities into story ideas. There are several more good ones to do, and a bunch that can be posted but likely won't as they are so close to others I did do. I won't do a compost pile count, but I do know that my source of my new ideas have been fairly dry.

I have finally started on my carved Christmas ornaments for the year. I have had some of the blanks already made, just waiting to be carved, for a while, but just had other projects to do first. They have to be finished by the end of November so I am forcing myself to get my act together.

Taking the above concepts and turning them into story ideas, I had used old notes and turned them into story ideas.
This new concept is that He works for an old company. He spends most of his time in records. The bosses say the company is in trouble, and they need some new ideas to save it. Well, since he is in records, he looks at the records of the meetings over the century of the company's life. At the meeting, others are telling all the same old ideas that have been tried and failed. he finally speaks up and describes an idea he read about, but he does not tell where he got it. He explains what might work. Everybody either thinks it is too far out, or a brilliant idea. The idea gets implemented, with changes. There is already signs it is working.
One thing he starts doing is comparing explanations used at different times, and also does historical research on other companies to see if they used it. The ideas he presents after that, are less shocking or wild, and better explained and developed. he even brings up where such ideas worked and actually points out where it failed. They start thinking him of as a genius.

AS to the question of the week
Yes, I did write.

Did you write?

1 comment:

Nancy A. Hansen said...

Yes, I did write. I finished the latest Lazlo story, LAZLO IN CHARGE and handed it over to Lee for editing. I had added several pages to it. I almost immediately started the next tale, and put almost 6 pages on that over the weekend. I was laid up with a bum shoulder for several days, so writing was something I could do sitting down with the heating pad on. The medication I was taking made it interesting though. I also wrote a blog entry which was pretty extensive, and the story ideas continue to fly back and forth in emails.

Because of being laid up, I did not get a whole lot else done at the end of last week. Also one of the dogs became ill, and unfortunately he had to be put down. I did write to several people about that, but it was not pleasant to dwell on. We'd had Duncan since he was a pup, and he was 12. He had developed some form of cancer, and his liver and kidneys were shot. It is always a hard decision to make. We were with him at the end.

Because of the shoulder I had to call a halt to all my repotting plants activities, but I still did manage to crochet now and then. I finished the mermaid doll I was working on and started a witch doll. I know it is past Halloween, but I just found the pattern and she is really cute. You can see the original pattern here: http://www.sfcrochets.com/patwitch.htm I changed her colors somewhat as I wanted her more fall and earth themed. So far I have the head, torso and legs done and will start working on arms, likely tonight. It has been a somewhat challenging project, but except for one night when the muscle relaxer had me so messed up I made her boot wrong, I have managed very well. I like a challenge.

So yeah, I did write and got quite a little done too.