Sunday, August 8, 2021

Year 21, Week 21, Day One (week 1115) 06-17-21 Saturday

 Year 21, Week 21, Day One (week 1115) 

 (January 17, 2000 was my first carving day.)

06-17-21 Saturday


The day was nice, but I was not out in it. Patchy clouds, and the radar showed some dots coming off the ocean. At one point, I pulled onto the highway and looked back and saw where a shower had just hit the road but not where I was. Tomorrow may be the same. This weather report is brought to you by The Pompano Beach Department Of Tourism.


When you hear about people’s phones getting wet, it is usually dropped into a lake or mud puddle. One never considers it falling into a cup of water. Thursday, I had my phone on the charger at work and it slipped off the upside down cup I had it sitting on and fell into a mug of water. I could see the water behind the glass of the screen and like an idiot, I did nothing about it. This morning, the screen was unreadable. Other than not being able to see anything, the phone should work all right....The problem with my old phone is that part of the screen is filled with lines . Normally, a sixth of the screen shows, but when I go to the address book, more lines cover the screen and I while I can make out the phone numbers, cannot really make out the names.

Today, I went to Walmart early to get a new phone. Try as I might, I could not set it up. I had to go to a ATT store and have them set it up for me so I could use it. My old phone won’t be answering now. A few doors down was a computer and phone repair place. I went there and talked to the girl there. She said that the only way to get the data off the chip, which is different than the one I got now, would be to get the same phone on line. The cost is as much as my new phone ($36).

This new phone is harder to use also. Imputing information takes more work. With the old phone, to type a letter in the address book or when texting, you just hit the same key till your letter comes up. With this one, you hit a number, then have to use another button to move over to the letter you want. Then you hit OK, then go to the next letter. 

I have the old phone  in rice right now and will leave it for several days before I try to check it again. messing with the phone took the day.


I was given a tall newel post (tall post for the head or feet of a bed) from someone’s bed. They said the other one broke and they tossed it. This post has flutes down the length of the main body, and decorative pieces on the ends. I have not decided what to do with it yet,  It would be an excuse for another ornament. I could cut the post into sections and put them on the lathe to part off the disks, and then carve the surfaces to look like petals or carve them to be snow flakes. The ends could be hollowed out and made into vases. No rush right now.


Will see what I do tomorrow.


*****

Year 21, Week 21, Day two (week 1115) 

 (January 17, 2000 was my first carving day.)

06-17-21 Sunday

Sun, Jul 18, 2021 6:53 pm



In the morning we got a good solid shower. After that it was hot, humid, with patchy clouds. A fan helped under the awning. 



The room mate of the next door neighbor BBQ’d some food under our awning since I had not put the BBQ away. She BBQ’d some bell peppers. She put them on the fire and rotated them so they cooked evenly. When they collapsed, they were done. They were sweet and tasty and you could even eat the seeds. She did not even take the stem off. She said a brother in law of hers did that and she said those were the best peppers she ever had. These were good. The green peppers were picked over, with few left at the store and the colored peppers were even cheaper, so the colored peppers was what she used. If you think about it, they are cooked about the same as how the peppers would be cooked when you stuff them and bake them. Being colored, they were sweeter than the green and that made them especially delicious. 


After lunch, my brother and I sat outside and talked. By three my brother had to leave. 

I sat and talked with mom and by the time I was to leave, day was gone without any wood working being done. I had taken my stuff out under the awning but by the time clean up was done and everything was settled in, it was really too late to get set up to work.

My brother liked the bed post. It is very pretty. 


I will see what I come up with next weekend.


856



No comments: