Sunday, January 10, 2021

WATER COLORING

This may seem like an odd topic, coming from a writer who usually contributes book reviews to this blog, but from time to time I do dabble in art as well.
I don't have anything that would pass for a "studio" or even a dedicated work space.
It's just wherever I can putter when time permits. Usually during commercial breaks watching TV.😉

Anyway, I was with my niece the other day when suddenly she decided to break out a couple of old watercolor paint sets—the basic 8 color pallet used in elementary schools—and asked me if I wanted to "color with her".
I was both surprised and honored at the invitation, so we set up at the kitchen table and went to work.

Now, we're just talking about an old glass jar of water between us and a couple of sheets of what turned out to be multipurpose computer printing paper.
She naturally got the better of the two watercolor sets and paintbrushes, for both looked well worn from prior school use. Don't worry, she and her brother both got new sets at the beginning of 2021 to finish out the school year.
My niece just started "going to town" as if she was a naturally born artist.
Me, I had to stop and think about what I was going to paint, but in the end I don't think either piece of art turned out too badly.

The biggest secret to watercolor painting is how much water you use at any given moment.
Just a "touch" of water creates a darker hue of paint, while more water gives you a brighter hue since the color is more diluted.
However, just using multipurpose paper instead of something thicker intentionally made for water coloring to hold the "weight" of the water and the paint once everything is dry, the results did bleed through to the other side.
We did have the foresight to cover the tabletop with old newspaper to avoid staining the table cloth.
Creating art is one thing. Making a mess another.

UP? #1

On the right you can see her finished picture.
If I had to critique it, I'd say something impressionistic with broad strokes and subtle shading. Possibly a sea scape.


On the other hand, I will also be the first to admit that I'm not sure which way was supposed to be "up" on her picture, hence having two views to show you.



UP? #2

Yet, considering she only recently turned 6 and is just in First Grade, I have to stop and wonder what kind of career she might have if she decides to pursue a future in art.








Mine.
 As for mine, like I said, I stopped and thought for a bit about what I wanted to paint.
Neither her nor my approach is right or wrong for personally, I think too many rules spoils art.
It's basically a question of painting what you see how you see it, whether visually accurate or emotionally correct.
In this case, it's my attempt at painting a beach cabana on the shore at either sunrise or sunset, your call.
But remember, my niece did give herself the "better" of the two old sets before we started. 😏

Water coloring, in my humble opinion, is definitely one of those "get what you can done then" projects, which is why it's usually me and colored pencils when working during TV shows.
Especially baseball games or other sporting events with their traditionally L-O-N-G commercial breaks.

In painting, there will come a point where you will have to stop and either consider the work done or come back to it later. When completely dry for water colors or at least some respectable passage of time for other paint formats.
In this case, both paintings were done within the same hour and I think they turned out well.
Don't you?

No comments: