Sunday, November 3, 2019

Year 19, Week 33, Day One (week 1033)

Year 19, Week 33, Day One (week 1033)
(January 17, 2000 was my first carving day.)
09-14-19 Saturday


I took my truck to firestone. I got there at about eight. They said they were very busy and it would be likely ready at noon. I was going to sit, but mom called at about 9:30 and asked if I wanted to run around with her. 
We went to find a place that was supposed to shred old pills. It was cancelled. We then picked up some herbal diet pills mom ordered from Save A Lot Nutritional. They had come in this weekend. 
We were going to go to the Festival Flea Market which was on the way back, but I got a call from Firestone. They suggested a bunch of work and asked if I wanted to do it. I told them I would hold off. About five minutes later, they called again and my truck was ready. 
Mom dropped me off and went to a fire station to see if they would take the old pills. They used to do it but she found out that laws changed and they cannot do it any more. Pharmacies can take them though. Over time, pills accumulate and it is good to get rid of them if they cannot be used.
Mom and I went to see a Clyde Butcher photogaphic display https://clydebutcher.com/ she had met them years ago when he talked to a photo club she was a member of. He was not there. The pictures he showed were excellent. All taken with a 8x10 camera in black and white. They were over a thousand dollars each. He had books and calendars also for sale. Mom left a note for him to let him know she appreciated meeting him years ago. 

There is another storm out over the ocean near the Bahamas. That new storm won’t come anywhere near us now. The big difference in which direction is on where the eye is going to form. It had a low level circulation on the south of the weather patch and a high level circulation farther North. Each location would dictate where the storm was going to go. The high level circulation became the center and that is causing it to miss nearly everything. If the low level had become the center, it would have come right over us. 

We also stopped at Ace Hardware and I got a hundred of the shutter wing-nuts. I did not need that many but I now have enough for a long time of losing them. I need to get some epoxy or super glue and glue every fixed bolt in the panel mount so they do not turn in place. Then I will be ready for the next storm. I still have not taken down any shutters. I might do that soon. Not all will come down, but some will. 

At Firestone, I was working on a dish cloth. I am doing a post stitch every other row so one side has scrubbing ribs while the other is flat. I think I did five rows while waiting. 


Year 19, Week 33, Day One (week 1033)
(January 17, 2000 was my first carving day.)
09-15-19 Sunday

I put the plants back into the front yard. I changed the arrangement so trees that don’t spread out as far are near where people walk. I adjusted the stepping stones. The grass under them where they were was already turning yellow. Eventually, I will dig up the grass under them and set them somewhat level with the ground so the mower can go over them. For now this will have to do. It is a toe stub at the ends but it is better than not having them.

I dug some on that palm tree in back. I am able to rock it back and forth now but have to go a little deeper or get down on the ground and cut the roots out from under it. I will see what happens.

I found a yard sale and got three metal folding chairs and a folding card table. I also got another one of those folding end coffee tables. There are some things that you never have enough of, until you have too many...

The surface of one of my tablet covers was coming off in little pieces. I had picked up some cloth at a yard sale a while back. I grabbed a red one and glued it to the surface of the cover. I used a water resistant yellow glue. I did not quite get it centered but it is less than an eighth inch off. I folded the tops to the inside and glued them there. Not a perfect job but better than it was.

I cannot find the bag with my rocking horse ornaments and other recent projects. Eventually they will suddenly appear out of nowhere later. 
I cut some wood and started carving some more steam engines. I had three partially carved and now have two more, plus two more sticks prepared to carve. I decided some saw cuts would make the carving job easier, and it does. 

I made some chocolate and strawberry ice cream today using banana as the base rather than cream. I’ve enjoyed these which is why I made more.  I used my little loaf pans (used for my bread and lasagna) lined with plastic wrap and got two pans of each. Each loaf pans holds two bananas worth of ice cream. I used about six oz of strawberry jam for the strawberry ice cream. 
I used half a Lindt chocolate bar and also added semi sweet chocolate morsels and melted or softened them together. When I was about done, I added the rest of the semi sweet chocolate morsels and chopped them into the ice cream. There will be little bits all through them. What I tasted at room temperature tasted great.  Tomorrow I will cut them into chunks.
The week of the storm, I had planned on getting more bananas and making more ice cream but I was not sure about the power and decided against it.

I will see what happens next week.
1038
(note, I got busy during my days and am posting these very very late from when they happened)
steam engines with roughed out blanks

the tablet with the repaired cover open

the tablet with the repaired cover closed



No comments: