Thursday, April 16, 2015

Year 16, Week 12, Day One (week 758)

Year 16, Week 12, Day One (week 758)
(January 17, 2000 was my first carving day.)
04-11-15 Saturday
   
    78 early morning, 88 late afternoon. Some heavy puffs interlaced in the morning, blue sky except over the Everglades in the afternoon. Nice breeze helped cool things down. This Weather report is brought to you by the City Of Plantation Department Of Tourism.
   
    Mom had us going to a banquet, so our morning was short. After breakfast we visited just a couple yard sales. In one area where there is usually nothing, we saw signs for more than half a dozen yard sales. We did not have time to see them. We were trying to find a sale at a condo. We were told that it turned out that it was just the stuff inside one of the apartments , not where a bunch of people got together to sell, so we did not stop there. I hated missing those other sales but we just did not have time to go to them.
   
    We changed and went to the banquet. The City Of Plantation Woman’s club had an annual banquet to celebrate the Woman of the Year. Several city organizations selected the Woman Of the Year from their membership, and then the city awarded each selection. They got the key to the city, a plaque, and a small gift.
    Mom is a member of the Plantation Art Guild and has been an official within it for years. She was one of ten Women awarded the Woman Of the Year honors this time.
    I joked to one of the banquet officials when we were introduced, that I hate to admit that Mom was my mother, as people would expect more of me. While it is joking, it is almost true.......
    I was taking pictures with Mine and Mom’s camera. I took a video of her receiving her award with my camera in one hand and snapping pictures with mom’s camera in the other hand. Hearing what they were saying about her, I had to look away from the screen to make sure it was mom they were talking about and not someone else. What they said sounded so special....
    The food and presentation of the food was good. I could tell some people would have liked their food prepared a little different, but most people ate what they got. We had a choice of chicken or salmon, and I got salmon.
    There were gift baskets along the wall and one could get raffle tickets to try to get one. They were really nice. Only two were something I would try to get if I were interested. Since I did not bother to get any raffle tickets, it was a moot point. They also had a silent auction where you write down a bid on something higher than the last person and the last bid wins. A really pretty painting was on display. It was done with a pallet knife, added with streaks and dabs. I loved the style, the technique and the painting itself. I haven’t a clue of what I would do with such a painting if I had gotten it. I have no place to hang it where it could be seen. Even though I enjoyed looking at it, I let others bid on it. I once had a mindset in Photography and a little in painting as I was learning, that rather than buying something, I would get it myself. It took a while for it to dawn on me that I was not that good.  I know now that I would have fun trying, though.
    By the time we got back, the day was shot and we were all wore out.
   
    I might try to re-make the food processor post again tomorrow. The hard part is getting the four square sides centered on the lower rounded post. I have some ideas on how to do it better.
   
    I will see what actually happens tomorrow.
   


Year 16, Week 12, Day Two (week 758)
(January 17, 2000 was my first carving day.)
04-12-15 Sunday
   
    88 late morning 90 afternoon high, strong breeze took away the heat making it feel cooler. (It is almost shirt sleeve weather....... Mostly blue sky with occasional puff slipping in front of the sun, high plates and feathers to the east of the sun. Humidity slightly higher than yesterday. This weather report is brought to you by the City Of Pompano Department Of Tourism.
   
    Mom called me early in the morning. My brother was not coming up today, Mom needed some computer stuff done, and they wanted to take me out for lunch. Woodworking was put on the back burner again.
   
    I did some work on mom’s computer, mainly doing a little maintenance. When the time was right, we headed for lunch.
   
    We went to the Cracker Barrel Old Country Store for lunch. The food is good and the store has all sorts of old implements hanging from the ceiling. One product they started selling was cast iron cookware (one of my many weaknesses). I reminded myself that what I had, I had enough, and what I did not have of what they had on display, I would absolutely never use.
    When looking at the stuff on display, part of the fun is identifying what it is. Then figuring out how it was used. Anything with wood is usually weather beaten. Some metal stuff is in almost new condition, though some is truly old. Here and there is something brand new, such as a cast iron pan they sell, hanging from the ceiling. In the restaurant part, they have old photos and small implements on the walls and partitions.  I have gotten good at knowing what everything is. It is fun to gawk at the stuff anyway. My new dad said that he used a number of the stuff on display when he was a kid. There were some things that were new when I was a kid. It is almost enough to make you feel old, but not quite enough......
    It is not a place to talk, as the acoustics are poor. We love to talk during meals out. They used to have stuff hanging from the ceiling in the restaurant, but I think they stopped that because of collected dust. There is no sound baffling in there. The food was exactly what we wanted and we left well full and happy. My new dad had pancakes and they were the best I have tasted in years. I do recommend that if you go.
   
    We relaxed and digested our big meals while we viewed the pictures I took yesterday. Then it was time for me to leave.
   
    I hope to do some wood working next weekend. I will aim for it.
    There is also a wood turning club meeting this week. I have to see if I can make it there.
    I will see what I actually do next weekend.
   
   

No comments: