Monday, June 7, 2010

Did You write? 06-07-10

Did You write? 06-07-10

That is the question of the week. Did you write at any time this week? tell us how much you wrote, or not wrote, so you get into the practice of writing, even if it is excuses for not writing.
We don't care about how much you wrote, just that you wrote. Writing every week can become a habit. Not all habits are bad for you. I have not heard that the habit of writing has anything wrong with it. Anyway, I can quit any time. I have done so thousands of times....

We all know that new writing is writing. Editing, though, is actually more important part of writing. Few of us can write perfectly the first time, so editing what you created is important. Because of the nature of editing, it is not unusual for your word count to go down, rather than up. When editing, word count is not really that important.
Editing the work of others, or critiquing the work of others, is also writing.
Along with new writing and editing, other forms of word creation are also writing. Poetry, blogging, technical writing, writing assignments, flash fiction, world and character creation, are all writing. Even E-mails can be writing if they are wordy and pertain to writing or stories.
Have you written this past week?

I did write a little. I am editing my work into something that resembles a real story. I added a page and 382 words to my Waxy story I had split part of the story where the things are seen from the point of two characters, so I could write each version out from start to finish, and then interleaf the actions back together when done. I am working on one point of view and making pretty good headway. I wrote out the piece as a story idea and am editing in details and corrections. This is not as fun as the story idea version was.

I have 57 story ideas in my compost pile. I was surprised I had that many as it seamed like I had dug into the pile quite a bit this week.
Last month was pretty good, but wish I had done better. I posted 32 story ideas for a 31 day month, so I am now two whole story ideas ahead for the year to date. I wish it was ten or fifteen, but I have not had that kind of time to do extra story ideas. Near the end of last month, I made a mistake on the numbers, and then worked to get caught up, and then found I was ahead. That allowed me to end up ahead one story idea.
For the month, I wrote Page 52 pages of pure drivel, with a total word count of 31,574 words. I would rather the word count to be around 60 pages, but many of the story ideas were just not worth enough effort to make that many words, and I had times where I just did not have the time or gumption to do them right. Even so, it is not bad production of any kind, let alone for unfiltered fluff.
Other than a spell check when I am done, these are all written in a stream of consciousness method, it goes from my brain, into the keyboard, and onto the screen. I do not go back and edit unless to add something that was missing or changed while typing it, and that is really rare. I have always wondered what a head shrinker would come up about me if he spent time analyzing a whole bunch of the stories. I am still waiting for those nice young men in nice white suits to come and take me away.....

AS to the question of the week,

I can proudly say that YES I DID WRITE.

DID YOU WRITE?

No comments: