Monday, March 29, 2010

Did you write? 03-29-10

Did you write? 03-29-10

Many among us have the irritating habit of writing every day, many thousand words a week. The rest of us wish we could do that. Many of us struggle to write each month, let alone every week or every day.
This note is to prompt the rest of us to write at least once during the week, with the penalty of having to publically admit we did not write. Of course, we get to brag that we did write, too.
We don't make judgements as to how much is written, or what is written. The fact that you put words to "paper" is all that counts. The more that is done, the better, but anything counts.
Most weeks, I list things that could pass as writing. there are more, but many would stay some are not. As long as you decide it is writing, is all that is important. I will skip the list today.

I did not write this week. I never even opened any of my stories. the one time I had the chance, I wrote an extra story idea so I would not fall behind because of my Sunday art show (more on that below). Because of this, I have backslid and the dark and stormy weather we are having has to be punishment for my dragging the world into the stone ages...

I am up to date on my story ideas. I have had some very good ones. I have come up with a good number of useable concepts, that have been added to my compost pile. The compost pile has 48 story ideas in it, and the top ten or so are likely quite usable. I don't look until I need to grab one. next week I will tell how I did for the month.

I had my art show yesterday. Not a lot of people came, and while there were a lot of art show people there that I recognized, there was no one from outside the art show I would have known. One friend said he was coming, then his granddaughter chose not to go. So he did not come.
There were a few sales, but not all that much. they gave us a T-shirt with the art show logo. They then had a brunch that was out of this world. I over-ate and hated the fact that I was on the low volume diet I am on (could not eat enough to get my money's worth). My sales was low, about half the entry fee. there were not a lot of people coming through. if you take the other things in, I guess I broke even.
I also broke several pieces. some can be easily repaired, usually a dab of glue and no one will ever know anything happened to them.
Earlier in the weekend, while practicing the display for the show, I bumped one thing, that knocked another, and one of my favorite pieces hit the ground, breaking into several pieces. This was a bowl I carved into a swirl of leaves. It was also one of my most expensive pieces.
I picked up the pieces I could find and looked at re-assembling it. there appears to be one piece missing but could not find it. it is lost among real leaves.
I have decided to create a new work of art using the remains of this bowl, since it is excellent carving. while man possibilities have crossed my mind, having the leaves hung in a spider web would be interesting.
Anyway, I am sure what I create will be a lot better than the bowl was.
I was glad I did the practice displays this weekend. I realized I have a style. simply put, I looked at my work and realized what my best work were, and what seamed dull. I now have to simply make my work with the style in mind.
Now that the art show is over, I can now concentrate on making real pieces and create some projects I have really wanted to do, but did not have the time to work on.

To use the above in a story idea, He made magic amplifiers. The gods let deposits of resinous materials wherever they spent time. some people said it was their poop, others said it was tears. the people who made magic amplifiers knew it was simply an interaction with the world, where waste energy sloughed off their bodies. Energy becomes solid.
The energy amplifiers are created by carefully removing waste materials from the actual energy bearing deposits. Most remove all the waste material and just have little grains of magical amplification. He, and others of his school of thought, left the grains in place and removed the waste material until they had something that used all the grains to amplify the energies. The form as pretty to look at, and also had great potential. they could be tuned by how much waste was left on and how much was removed, and where.
One day, he had created a piece that was extremely delicate, and the grains amplified on several levels of magic. master magic users could do vastly different kinds of magic with something like this.
He declared it done and had several trusted magic users check it out. They were impressed.
A few months later, he drops it. It breaks into several pieces. the flash of light said that one or more of the grains were destroyed in the fall. he picked up the pieces and looked over the results.
He found he could change the amplification by moving the pieces in and out from each other. This was something no one had explored.
He puts the pieces away. He now knows he will make a device that will allow the magic user to tune the amplifier to the exact magic they want to do.

As to the question of the week.
I am sorry to say, "No, I did not write."

DID YOU WRITE?

No comments: