Sunday, February 14, 2010

Wood Working Week 527

year 10, Week 5, Day One (week 527)
(January 17, 2000 was my first carving day.)
02-13-10 Sunday

Saturday:
45 degrees in the morning, got up to 64 in the afternoon, heavy breezes. A front shot through last night with really strong winds and a shockwave of rain. Everything was dry by morning, though the wind sucked the heat right out of a person. Even people from up north were bundled up and shivering. This weather report is brought to you by the City Of Pompano Department Of tourism.

I did no woodworking, but instead went to the Renaissance fair. This fair will continue until March 14th. I have no idea if I can go back there again.
I learned years ago, that if I tell about my woodworking, the people give me that "Oh, sure you do," type of look. To solve that, I started carrying my woodworking with me to show off, to prove I know what I am talking about.
This time I brought with me a male and female pixy, a hatching rabbit, an owl, and a few other finished pieces. I also brought with me my partially carved flower vase.
I got some comments at how good the flower vase was. That was nice.

I purchased a couple prints, ate well and had a good time. I walked around the fair grounds twice, taking four hours, checking in on vendors all the way around. Many of them remember me and are happy to see me. There were new vendors there to meet, some old ones missing.
The only time I really sat down was to eat dinner and the rest of the time I was on my feet. The Orthotics I got last year really helped. I have not been exercising, walking as much as I should have been, but I sure did well on my feet.

We did go to a couple yard sales in the morning. I got a box with some corner clamps and a saw. Mom picked up and gave me a slow cooker. I also got a gold leafing kit. I came out pretty good. Not only that, I DID NOT pick up a plush lion cub that had caught my eye....
I had learned a little bit about gold leafing back in the 80s and know of some opportunities to do some more leafing.

Slow cooker and clamp set.

Sunday:
40 degrees in the Morning. 56 degrees when I got to Mom's house and it got up to 62 degrees when I went inside. Blue sky with a little bit of cloud here and there, light breeze. This Weather Report was brought to you by the City Of Pompano Beach Department Of Tourism.

I petted that thing we call a cat. He actually acted like a cat today, I petted him quite a bit and he swatted at me only once, no claws extended. Moments later, I was petting him again. he really is doing well.

I set up at the shed at the back of the yard, where I could sit in the sun. Of course, I pulled out the long extension cord as I was using a drill and dremmel.

On the platter I made last week, I needed to set the light house carving up above the surrounding surface. What I did was to grind the wood down around the light house. I then feathered the wood, sloping it back up to the original surface a good distance away. Later in the day, My brother mentioned about how I made it stick out. It works. I have to do some heavy sanding on the surfaces to remove plenty of tool marks. I should do that before I really get into carving as I may add some scenery stuff there or some lettering. I have to reprint my picture so I can get the design right. The light house is a frame style structure and I am thinking I want the cross braces to be raised. I will be cutting the background a bit deep. I will need the picture to make sure it is right.

Light house raised up above background

I then turned my attention to my flower vase. I worked on the background in a few places, and then worked on the flowers. It is finally feeling like it will work.
One of the fun things I did was to add more movement in the leaves, sending some behind others and behind the stem. There was one. where I had not formed the end that went under the stem, so I roughed in the shape on the background, then went by a bit later and ground that off, so I had to re-form it again so the background around it is even deeper. That is all right, It adds more depth to it. Everybody I showed it to was impressed with what I have.

Flowers coming along in flower vase


Next week, I really need to get production out of both days, not just one day, and only half of that.
I intend to work on the flower vase and the light house platter.

I will see what I actually do next week.

No comments: