Friday, October 9, 2009

Model Railroad 10-09-09

I dug into my train room a few times this week, moving the stored stuff elsewhere. I still have a mess against the wall, and the floor is still a mess, but I have made headway. I will be doing more this week.

Because the closet was almost completely empty, I took all the structures off the railroad and put them on the closet shelf.

This got them out the way. Also, handling them showed me what can be used again as soon as I am ready to "redecorate" the layout, and what needs to be rebuilt. Most of the buildings I personally built, were tiny and I used a lot of glue. Several of the buildings I got at yard sales or were given to me started coming apart with walls separating. I have no idea when I will ever get time to the structures that need repairs or rebuilding.

With the railroad layout surface clear, I took my battery powered circular saw and tried to cut a slot. that little saw had very little power. I had not yet cut all the way through the three quarter inch plywood when it ran out of energy. It is second- hand, small, and not really powerful I will keep trying to cut the wood over time, but this one time was enough for the moment. It tells me that I should bring in an electric circular saw or be patient, or even accept the 4x8 as one big sheet as it is.

I need to vacuum and scrub the entire railroad surface. I have screws, bits of wires, and lots of dirt on top, along with plaster from previous scenery and other projects. I will do so later, but after I give up on,,, I mean finish cutting the slot in the railroad. I want to wait until the worst of the mess is done before I do serious cleaning on the railroad surfaces.

The brick on the corner there, is an important track laying tool. You need the track held in place while the glue dries. It also can be used to hold pieces of projects in place till glue dries as it does not move easily.

No comments: