Wednesday, August 26, 2009

where these pictures are found
http://www.goldcoastwoodturners.org/
Which is the Gold Coast Woodturning club.

Other pictures of previous month club meetings, can be found in NEWSLETTERS and MEMBERS GALLERY on the web site

The club meeting has a demonstration, of some trick or technique. The members bring their work in for what amounts to a Show-And-Tell, called the Instant Gallery. Their pieces are set out in display and members can handle and examine the pieces, up close and personal. Then, during the meeting, the members tell about the piece such as what wood it is made from, any special techniques they did, and what finishes they did.

For this meeting we also had a photo set up so members could get pictures of their best pieces for the club gallery on the web site.

Periodically, we do what are called challenges. Their purpose is to get people to make something they don't normally make.
This month we had a candlestick challenge, where we were to make a candlestick.

This month, I had a brilliant idea on how to make a candle stick designed to hold three candles.
I made one, shown in the pictures, was my first attempt, created mainly to explore the concept and see where the problems are in the project.
I tried to make another one and because of the nature of how I was making it, I broke it. My third attempt ran into technical problems caused by my miscalculation.
Having nothing to show for the attempts, I brought my experiment to the club just to show off. Hopefully someone got a great idea out of my attempt.



This is the side view, on the left, of my candle stick.

This, in front, is the front view of my candle stick. see how much lower quality it is compared to the candle sticks around it. It was the only one of this design which is some thing to say for it.

AS you can see, I had some problems with this candle stick. I really messed up the platforms for the candles so I glued on some new platforms I made.
I understand the process to make it, but will have to see if I have the skills, tools and knowledge to make it actually work. If I make one right, you will see pictures of it later.
I will say that I am proud that this attempt worked as well as it did.

No comments: