Sunday, May 2, 2021

Year 21, Week 13, Day two (week 1107) 04-10-21 Saturday

 Year 21, Week 13, Day two (week 1107) 

 (January 17, 2000 was my first carving day.)

04-10-21 Saturday


Partly cloudy some sun. A brisk breeze shaking trees nicely This weather report is brought to you by The City Of Pompano Beach Department Of Tourism. 


I drove most, but not quite all, my yard-sale route. I found two yard sales. One was a family that over the years often had plants for sale. A couple of their friends joined in the sales. I got a handcart/dolly for $10. It is designed to with caster style wheels at the top of the handcart so you can lay it down, change the handle, and use it like a dolly. I am going to offer that to my brother. If he wants it, it is his. If not, I have some clean up on it to do. It has inflatable tires and they need to be pumped up. 

At another yard sale was a charity group that periodically have yard sales. I got a few cheep items. A staple gun that you can adjust the tension, a desktop tape dispenser, and one of those pocketed things with Windsor-Newton is printed on it for rolling up and storing paint brushes, I thought about using it for my knives but they are too small. I will use it for other things.

I started cutting some wood for a quick project and the blade came off the bandsaw. I got it back on, and it came off again. I gave up. I will have to look at it again tomorrow. I did a little bit of cleaning work on a few pieces. But really did not accomplish much. 

One of the wooden feet, I made several years ago, on my four-footed cane broke this week. I took one of the blanks I had made as an extra when I was making the others and decided to install it in the place of the broken one. While fitting it to see if it would go on, I rapped it with the palm of my hand and it split. I could have glued it but decided it was not worth it.  I had a foot that I had made for a smaller cane, so I used the dremel to make the hole bigger and accidentally made it too big. I had to adjust the bottom so it would fit tight. I then worked paper around it, with glue to act as filler and then added a bunch of glue over the mouth of the foot to make sure it stays put. I will put the cane to use tomorrow, but it will have plenty of time to dry. 


I worked a bit after lunch, then took a short nap. I got an idea and went out back again. My neighbor’s mango tree is loaded. We are having brisk winds that are knocking some of the fruit off the tree. I have a dust pan for industrial work. It is a plastic bin about eight inches high, a foot wide and about a foot deep. I took a leaf rake and used it to flick the fruit into the dust pan. I ended up with three loads and there was some left on the ground as I ran out of energy. Mom will have to go through the fruit and see if any of it is useable. I doubt it. That was a great way to pick them up as there was little or no bending over to do it and I did not see any damage from the rack either. I did get some debris, but that was all right. It did not take very long either. 

I will see what I accomplish tomorrow.

Year 21, Week 13, Day two (week 1107) 

 (January 17, 2000 was my first carving day.)

04-12-21 Sunday

We had a good day. It only showered lightly around four, and the heavy stuff started coming about five. We got a lot done. We had a nice drenching last night. Some puddles on a couple spots on the road. At about one and at four, we got a very short mists, then the main front hit at about five. When this blob of rain goes by, another one looks like it will pass over us. Mom’s plants will love this. This weather report is brought to you by The City Of Pompano Beach Department Of Tourism. 


After lunch, My brother and I went to Harbor Freight and we walked the store. We got new wheels for that hand truck/dolly I bought yesterday as there was no way to pump up the old tires. They were about $4 each. My brother supervised while I removed the old wheels. He had to help me with a bigger hammer to drive one wheel off and the bearing came apart with the inner ring still stuck on the axle. I had to cut the inner bearing race of the ball bearings with my dremmel and a cutting disk to get it off. One side had a pressure ring to hold the tire in place. The other side had a pin (small nail) stuck into a drilled hole. I decided the pin idea was a good idea as those pressure rings can be a pain. While drilling through the axle at the end, I broke two drill bits. I “Rogered” them. The third one did the job. 

 We then put the new wheels on. I did not pump them up as I was not in the mood to get the pump out and fill them up. Today, I was not in great condition walking. I was stiff and a tiny bit sore. We sat out there and enjoyed the weather. It was not really hot, we had lots of clouds in the afternoon as a front was coming soon. And a brisk wind made it nice and comfortable. We really did not want to get up. 

Before we did anything on the hand cart, I offered it to my brother and he said he has one just like it but does not use it much. Mom said we need it here more than there. I will clean it up and possibly repaint it later. We at least made it useable.

I worked on making some wooden spoons. When I was cutting three out of the wood last weekend, I broke two of them. I am gluing up those two to see if I can repair them. If I cannot fix them, no loss. Then I saw the wood I should have been using for these. The wood I should have used was some two inch mahogany boards. Finding the right stuff afterwards happens all the time. 


Yesterday, I raked up a bunch of mangoes that fell on the ground. Some of the little ones were yellow. I found out that they are edible. Not really sweet, but sweet enough and they do taste like mango. I am thinking they would be great for adding to dishes that already has sweetness. I also found that the seed comes out when they are small like that and the meat comes out of the skin fairly easy. These were mainly knocked down by the wind. The tree is still well loaded with fruit to ripen. 

I have a lot of projects to work on, but will have to wait until next weekend.

**


Year 21, Week 14, Day two (week 1108) 

 (January 17, 2000 was my first carving day.)

04-17-21 Saturday and Sunday.


I was not feeling good for most of the week. I had little energy this weekend. I sat outside and enjoyed the weather. I also slept a lot, getting nothing done. 

I hope I can do stuff next weekend.

1298

the wooden silverware, the glued spoons in back.

Mangoes gathered from the neighbor's yard.
Most are baby mangoes

three filled with mangoes.

hand cart / dolly I got at a yard sale


No comments: