Sunday, September 27, 2020

The Dolls of the Valley...

This is Part 1 of a series of posts about crochet dolls and their clothing. Maybe not the kind of topic some people would find interesting, but this is my hobby blog, and these are things I do when I'm not writing, which is my chosen career. I'm a stay-at-home grandma now, with an all adult household, so that officially makes me an empty-nester. I'm so very fortunate to have my adult children, three grandchildren, and my very dear daughter-in-law all living in our old family home, a mere 12 miles and a 20 minute drive away. So we see each other often. And we call and text a lot too. Since I'm a published writer by trade, I like to do something a little different when I do have some 'spare' time. Crochet is one of those things, and others benefit by what I make.

Oh and the valley thing in the post title? Obviously a pun based on the book (and subsequent movie) by author Jacqueline Susann. Actually, our homes are in The Last Green Valley so it's not all that far out a concept. I am privileged to live in this gorgeous rural part of Connecticut and I like to sit and make things when I can. So the following is the first installment of a winter's worth of making crocheted dolls, doll clothing, and accesories. Fun and relaxing for me, and very welcoming for the dear grandchildren who are always delighted to find something new at Grandpa and Grandma's house whenever they come to visit.

Now off we go to toyland...


When you have grandchildren, you always want to give them things. But I think it's important that they learn that not every gift comes from the store. Since I am a crocheter and I do that often in the evenings to relax after writing all afternoon, I'll often make something for the kids. So last year I got on a doll kick.


My granddaughter Terralyn loves dollies. I think she has a couple dozen at home, and we've got a few assorted ones here. She's always after me to get them new clothing, and I've been able to cobble some outfits together. But I got to thinking along the way, what if I made her some 100% homemade dolls? Would she at such a young age appreciate having something that is strictly one-of-a-kind, made by Grandma Nancy? I had plenty of yarn to use up after all...


 I've made crocheted fairy and witch dolls before, but that was long before the grandkids were around, and over the years I had kind of moved on to other projects. So it had been quite a while since I had done something 3D and stuffed that was meant to be played with. I had to relearn the techniques involved, and refreshed my memory by looking at patterns online. I figured male or female, I'd use the same body type and just change out yarn colors for skin and hair, and then style them as I saw fit. I have below some random photos of the first doll that I was able to create. There are a lot of in-progress shots and clothing and accessories. Techniques varied a bit too depending on whose ideas I was following or whether I was just cobbling things together. I will tell you, they all get played with by both Terralyn and her year older brother Zachary. These dolls have adventures that require them to change clothing often! Because the three biggest dolls in this series are about the same size, they can share clothing and accessories.

I thought for today's post, we'd look at the first doll I made. She's an off white skinned blonde with pigtails that I call Heidi, though Terra has her own names for her, and those randomly change. These doll bodies are made of multiple pieces that get securely sewn together with the same yarn they are crocheted from. Took me about a full week to ten days to make all the parts, stuff them, set in the safety eyes, and embroider the mouths (I'm not great at embroidery), and then figure out the hair. For this little gal I made a skull cap of the bright yellow yarn and added the pigtails to that. That doll got carried everywhere the first day she was spotted. The deal we had was, dolly stays here, but I would periodically make her new clothing or other doodads. I had fun digging into my stashes of buttons and beads to craft her little things I thought Terra would enjoy. 


This is how a crocheted doll evolves. I use my bamboo book stand to prop her up so I can get a decent picture. The clothing is challenging, and following patterns doesn't always work for me, since the doll is made to my specifications. I named her 'Heidi' because of the pink and purple dress, which reminded me of the cover of the Johanna Spyri book I loved as a girl.





Now my granddaughter wanted more outfits, so I fashioned Heidi first a romper type playsuit and a sunhat...


I'll admit I had fun posing Heidi in her photo shoot. Yes she now has sandals too. Half the fun of a doll is dressing and undressing it.


Terra told me Heidi needed pajamas to sleep in. I wasn't quite up making them, but I did make her a nightie. Even though the back did not turn out too well (I fudged it together) that nightie proved to be just as popular as PJs. All this stuff used up yarn I had on hand. Of course she had to have coordinated slippers as well!



Why Heidi has her sunhat and purse on with her nightie I have no idea, but She does get played with a lot. The biggest disappointment for Terra was not being able to restyle her hair. Well, we can't have everything! 


I have made her some accessories, some of which the other dolls can use as well. After all, even dollies can share their things, because that's what polite people do.




















I still need to make Heidi a bathing suit and some other clothing, but we'll be getting back to the sort of weather soon when snuggling in a comfy chair in front of the TV watching DVR'd programs and crocheting is appealing. It's a good change from writing because while it's still creative, it's a different way to use my brain and hands. It gives me a chance to unwind before bed (where I read) and something positive to focus on when the world around us isn't exactly being kind. Besides the ongoing pandemic and disasters in the news, I suffer from chronic pain and it's easy to get caught up in a downward spiral of woe when every big movement hurts. I'm partially disabled with severe athritis now in my spine and legs, and so there is a lot of discomfort and major mobility issues that I'd rather not dwell on. Keeping busy making things is a big part of how I cope with not being able to do all the more active things I used to be involved in. And it keeps the mind young. Anything that I can do that is self-satisfying and brings smiles to others is going to brighten up my day as well. 


So this is just one sample of the kind of projects I get involved with. I have other dolls I can feature. Next time I post here, we'll take a look at the evolution of another one or two of them. Thanks for stopping in to see what I've been up to, in my 'spare' time.
~Nancy

No comments: