Friday, July 5, 2019

Year 19, Week 25, Day One (week 1025)

Year 19, Week 25, Day One (week 1025)
(January 17, 2000 was my first carving day.)
06-29-19 Saturday

Early morning, spotty clouds and warm. Fast moving showers hit mid morning it took until early afternoon to fade out to nothing. Ending with varied patches of fast moving clouds and some sun. Mom does not have to water our plants. This weather report is brought to you by The City Of Pompano Department of Tourism.

After breakfast, we stopped at home and then I went out yard sailing on my own. Weather Radar showed there was weather coming up from the south, so I decided to head south first, following my route backwards and then north. On heading south first, there is not as many areas over that distance that would have yard sale so I could get to the southern end quite fast. Down there I saw several signs but no yard sales at them. 
Near the top of the route heading north, I did find one yard sale. Soon after I arrived the husband said, “the radar shows rain coming and that lightning is part of it.”they were at the very beginning stages of scrambling to pack up, not yet gathering things, but looking at what had to be moved and trying to get sales before they got to work. 
I was about to leave, not finding anything really interesting, then I saw a insulated carafe exactly like several I have of, and use at work for my flavored coffee. I make the flavored coffee and fill the carafe first and the rest goes into my cup for the morning. My afternoon cup is the flavored coffee not drank the day before.
Several years ago, I had seen one of these carafes at a yard sale and decided not to get it, and wished I had gotten it at that time. You tend to remember your misses for a very long time. I grabbed the carafe and asked the price. I put the money in her hand as soon as she said the number. She was happy. One less thing to put away. I was happy, got what I needed.
I left there and saw a couple signs where I would have go off the direct route, and decided to skip them. They likely would already be packing up before I got there.

I thought I would see if Orchard supply had something I was after. It had closed. I never heard about it was closing. I had only been there twice. I kept forgetting about it being there since we had not gone for Chinese buffet in months (on the way). Orchard supply impressed me as a very big Ace Hardware. They had similar stuff there, but more of it. I just looked on Wikipedia and found out that the chain, owned by Lowes, was closed in November of 2018. I missed the advertisement.
As I started south, I hit the storms. After the shock wave it dropped to a Seattle drizzle did not stop during the morning.

After a pit stop at mom’s, I went to Ace and got some of those “staples” to hold wires in place along the wall at Mom’s neighbor’s house. I will use them to run the ethernet cord from the bedroom to the box. I will pull a bunch more cord into the bedroom when I start so I have enough to reach most places I might put the computer, then I will tack the cord in place along the molding. I got a packet of 50 and that MIGHT be enough. 

When I finally was ready to do something, I started carving the face on the little vase. I got a good start, but have some corrections to do, which will require me to go deeper in some places. It had been a long time since I carved a face and got a couple things wrong. It is looking good, though. 
It was kind of nice working with the sound of raindrops on the sheet metal of the awning roof. While there are things to correct, I did well on the face so far.

I will see what I do tomorrow.




Year 19, Week 25, Day Two (week 1025)
(January 17, 2000 was my first carving day.)
06-30-19 Sunday

Some storms were moving close to us and there was a few little drips, but that was all it did. This weather report is Brought to you by The City Of Pompano Beach Department Of Tourism.

I found a yard sale today on my run. I had been there a couple times. The last time I found a Garmon Tracker and it has the newest maps of all my units.  I mentioned to her that I had gotten a carafe yesterday and she said she had one and considered setting it out but didn’t. She went in and I got it for a few bucks. It looks different style of what I have maker as the ones I like, but I found that the lids are interchangeable. This one might have a hair more volume.  While she had some interesting stuff, I did not need anything she had otherwise.
I don’t like the carafes with moveable parts. I have a couple with levers or valves in the cap to allow you to pour or seal it. I learned that gunk gets inside the parts. It is nearly impossible to get all the stuff out so it builds up. The ones I like, the lids are simply insulated and you turn the cap a little to pour. With the one I got yesterday and the one got today are sitting there with chlorine water in them. 
I cannot remember where it is right now, but I had a carafe that I partially took it apart to clean it properly and could not get it aligned right to not leak. I could likely fix it now but back then I did not have time to work with it to get it right. That type has a design problem with a screw plug on the bottom. Turn the plug wrong and you mess up the pot. You are supposed to be able clean them completely but they don’t always go back together quite right.

My brother and I went out to Harbor Freight. He bought had a welder for a job and it would not work. He ended up taking the project home, doing the welding there and bringing it back to the job. He traded the broken welder for a better, but cheaper one. He will see if it does what is advertised. I must have been really sick today as I walked out without buying anything at all. I might need to see a doctor about this......
We then went to Home depot and got some LP gas for the BBQ.  I now have two good cans plus what is on the unit itself. It is nice to have extra cans

I did a little carving before my brother came. First I lost the knots that gave me the idea of doing the face in the first place while correcting errors I did on the eyes, then I went a little too deep and created a hole just above the eye. It was thin there.  I got a pretty good face so far. I can see that I will need to use color to make the face stand out on the wood. Otherwise, it looks pretty good. 

After my brother left, I moved the woodworking equipment into the corner of the awning for Thursday’s BBQ. I gave the area a rough sweeping. It should be better but I was running out of energy. There are some stuff on the work bench that will need to be taken care of but there is plenty of time for that too.
I have to clean the case of the BBQ during the week when I drop by, then the BBQ will be ready for use. 

We think the very last of the mangos have fallen from the tree. It is now done for the year. They were good. I have a little frozen at work and some frozen at home. Mom may give me the last ones when she cleans them. They have to ripen a little bit. She lets them sit out in the sun and after a few days they are ready to eat.

Thursday will be getting the place ready for the BBQ. Friday will be cleaning up. Saturday and Sunday are expected to be no different than any other week. 

I will see what I do next weekend.

1448


the face carved


the face carved

face on of face carved

the pitchers. the caps just sitting on them as I was about to fill them with coffee.

I got this picture on line. it shows the type of torches the yard sale had last week.

No comments: