Sunday, December 25, 2016

Year 16, Week 50, Day One (week 881)

Year 16, Week 50, Day One (week 881)
(January 17, 2000 was my first carving day.)
12-17-16 Saturday

Lots of patchy clouds, breeze, 82 as a high, some sunshine, threats of showers that never materialized. The weather reports said horrible weather, but it turned out nice. This weather report is brought to you by the City Of Pompano Beach Department of Tourism. 



LAST WEEK

I was moving a bunch of stuff around and did not have time to even think of woodworking. We had showers off and on all day long. I transported some bins on Saturday beneath a tarp. I accidentally pulled the tarp off, with water on top, and some water got into the bin containing a land line phone, keyboard, speaker, mouse. The phone and mouse died. Ick!!!
This was the kind of weather that kills any desire to work outside.



SATURDAY 

Because of the weather report, I was not expecting much in the way of yard sales, but with the lack of anything on radar, we decided to head out and have a look. Mom drove.
We had a need of some lamps. We found five yard sales, and it seamed like lamps were on discount. It could well that there were lamps at many yard sales over the months, but since we were not looking for them, we did not see them. They seemed to be everywhere. We found all the lamps we needed at a very nice price when we compared our notes at the end of the yard sale run. 
I had my hands on a number of interesting things. I avoided several stuffed animals, along with a small bag filled with beany babies. Their crying for a new home almost made me cry and give in to get them. The bag had a turkey in it that was really cute. I had it in my hand three times. I had to walk away to keep from snapping up all the stuffies they had. 
One yard sale had some “mighty fine” 72 inch long clamps. It was also hard to walk away from them. I am not quite ready to get clamps that big. Maybe in a couple months.

When we got back, I started on my Christmas cards. I paint my cards each year and in some years, I have made as many as 50 of them. I played around with six cards, looking for an acceptable design, a couple were mistakes that I will work around, like I laid the card out flat, rather than folding it and painting it, so the base of the picture is on the wrong side of the card... 
I then picked out 25 card blanks and painted what would work as a background, two main colors, then a third color to add texture and interest to the surfaces, then I added the main image element on all of them. That finished the day of work. 

I wanted to work on some projects in wood, mainly sanding and finishing a bunch of my platters, but working on the Christmas cards, which is a serious priority as I have to give them out starting Monday (and still have to paint at least another batch quickly, maybe even two) woodworking took a backseat to what had to be done.

I intend to work on the cards more tomorrow. 
I will see what else has to be done. 




Year 16, Week 50, Day Two (week 881)
(January 17, 2000 was my first carving day.)
12-18-16 Sunday

Weather reported to be poor, but actually quite good after about ten in the morning. 82 high, nice light breeze, some sun and lots of clouds. This weather report is brought to you by the City Of Pompano Beach Department of Tourism. 

When I got to Mom’s house, She suggested we go out for lunch. That killed the day for wood working. It always does.

The artwork on this batch of my Christmas cards is almost done. Just a couple piddly details to do on the graphic. I have to do all the lettering on them on the back and inside, so I have a lot of work to do, but will work on that tomorrow. Some will be given out tomorrow night and through the week. I have to get started on another batch as soon as possible as I have more people to give to than the cards I already have made. I am not exactly sure how many I am giving out, but I would rather have extra left over than run out. Some will have to be mailed, but those will arrive late.
As it is, I need at least two more weeks to do all that I have to do this week. This batch of cards are not bad, but I know that if I had more time, I could do a whole lot better. 

I will see what I do next weekend. I do know I will be busy.
823


The white background cards were the experiments. 
I had already given out a bunch of cards when I took this picture. 

No comments: