Tuesday, November 17, 2015

Year 13, Week 40, Day One (week 686)

Year 13, Week 40, Day One (week 686)
(January 17, 2000 was my first carving day.)
11-14-15 Saturday

78 degrees at 10:00 in the morning, 72 degrees at 4:00 in the afternoon. The weather radar real early in the morning showed some showers well off the coast that seemed to be going east, away from land. By nine, showers were coming into land from off the ocean and decided to stay for a visit.  It was around three or four that the rain finally faded away, by then the day was done. The plants are really excited that it got well watered. This weather report is brought to you by the City Of Pompano Beach Department Of Tourism. 

After Breakfast, we headed out to yard sale. Mom said the dark clouds to the north and East looked bad. She decided to cut our normal run short and kicked over into Deerfield Beach since the Library there was having a book sale. Mom felt a couple drops at the first yard sale we found. I did not feel anything. Other than some office supplies this yard sale had children’s stuff. They had a baby fence set up and the kids kept going into and out of it, having all sorts of fun.  I did not buy anything.

The second yard sale was in a breeze way at a condominium. I picked up a square,  cast iron, fry pan. I did not need it but it leaped at me and glued itself to my hands. I had to fork over some money or have them use solvents to get my fingers free...  I like cast iron pans. 


Square Cast Iron Fry pan.


We then got to the library where they had the book sale in the nearby building. They had tables and tables of books. I have no need of books as I seldom look at the ones I have, especially after I have read them once. They had signs showing what types of books they had. In spite having several boxes of paper backs and about 40 feet of tables filled with several rows of hard bound books, did not spot any science fiction or fantasy.  
Since that was out, I drifted to “useful” books. In the arts and crafts section of books, I found a book on pottery. In my wood turning, we can use pottery designs for our wood projects. Good design is good design. I was told that you should not use glass as a design pattern as glass handles light differently and it never comes out the same. Pottery, though is an excellent form to copy. 
I found some joke books that will be useful. I love to share jokes. That is why I want everybody to have my choice of politicians. They are all jokes..... Then I picked up a book on “how it works.”  It is printed in 1971, but still has useful information like how nuclear reactors work, foam plastics, engines, electromagnets, to name a few hundred other subjects. The last of the 5 books is a book on numbers. While some of it is a bit lame, other parts are really good. I ended up reading this entire book during the rainy day.


Books from Library book sale.


The rain really came down while we were shopping for books, but died down so we could get to the car and get home reasonably dry. It picked up later, sometimes becoming a torrential downpour. 

I read, took a short nap, read some more. Worked on one of mom’s computers,  And then napped again. I woke and wanted to go outside with the possibility of working, and the sky opened up, telling me to forget that idea.

There is some stuff that has to be moved out into the open in order for me to even work with the lathe under protection. That is not a good idea for that stuff. It was just not going to be a day to do anything. 

Years ago, I tried an experiment I had seen in a magazine. Take a cube of wood and carve a figurine in it. I carved a frog in one of them. It came out pretty good and that carving became my prince frog, in the “fairy and the prince” carving. 
Last night, I had imagined how to use the bandsaw to remove excess wood to make a the carving the rest of the frog ornament easier. I know of a couple people who would like that design. Because of accumulated stuff in the way where the lathe also has to be pulled out just to get to the bandsaw. Again, the weather also said no to that. 



Fairy and the Frog Prince.Frog was carved from a square. The crown added later.



Other than petting and feed the cat, and petting her some more, I accomplished little that was productive today.

I’ve decided to take tomorrow off. I have some projects to do at home which includes napping a few times. 

I will see what happens next weekend.








No comments: