Sunday, April 18, 2010

Week 536 Wood working.

year 10, Week 14, Day One (week 536)
(January 17, 2000 was my first carving day.)
04-17-10 Saturday

80 degrees, broken clouds. they finally got them fixed after noon. some sun before then. light breeze with brisker gusts. At around two, there were a few drips from a pregnant cloud, but that was all we saw. I was already cleaning up by then. This is brought to you by the City Of Pompano Beach Department of tourism.

During the week, I was sanding and varnishing. I had soaked one of my platters, the one I repaired last week, in linseed oil. Since it was damaged, it was worth experimenting with. I then simply varnished a platter. the linseed oil platter is darker in the darker rings. Just slightly prettier. I do see that I have some repair sanding to do on both platters. there are places where the tool dug in, compressing the fibers, and that came out darker, obvious, than the rest of the platter.
I had also varnished my beer stein and my repaired bowl. The repaired bowl needs more sanding in a couple places inside.

The night of the turning club, I put a wire in on the beer stein to hold the lid on. When I got it to the turning club, the lid at the joint there, broke. I super glued it and that worked for the night.

The turning club meeting was pretty good. The demonstration was on carving bowls and stuff. he was using one of those dental drills. Because of the speed it goes, it burns the wood so you get a wood burning effect along with the carving. there are many bits you can get for it. some are rather interesting.
There was a lot of really good pieces on display. Like I have for several months now, I took a whole bunch of pictures. I give them a CD of the pictures for the web site.
After the turning club meeting, they had a wood auction. I took pictures of the wood but did not get involved. I have more wood than I can use, if I choose the right projects.


Saturday,

The day started with some yard sales. I got a workbench/vise like thing. This one can be put on a stand or on a work bench. I got it because it was cheap, not that I needed it.


bench vice

I got another go-by that I would like to carve.

This is either a badger or raccoon. We are not totally sure. It is made of plaster.

I decided to make a platter. I put my face plate on the lathe and found it wobbling slightly. I have seen my chuck has a slight out of center wobble. I needed to mark which jaw fit where on the face plate because when I made the face plate, I took that into account automatically.
I made a platter and was getting lots of out-of center- reactions. I found that the platter lifted slightly on the face plate and the double sided tape rolled. I got it made, but now see I need to try something else. I have a tap that fits the screw of the shaft. I think I will make another set of face plates, drill it out, and screw it directly on the lathe, rather than use the chuck, and see if that works any better.

I had a dollar store tooth brush. this is one where the whole thing vibrates. I got some foam and attached that to the tooth brush in the place of the bristles. I added a small piece of peal-and-stick sand paper. Not really a lot of movement even with two layers of the foam. I am using aggressive grit and that might have something to do with the lack of apparent sanding.

I did some hand sanding but by then the day was ending. It was time to pack everything up and get going.

Half of tomorrow's projects will be finding the tools I need to make the new face plates. I know I have the tools, but I just have to figure out where they went.
After I make the face plates, I will give them a good test with another platter. I should note that there is no difference between a platter and a plate. Platter just sounds better.

I have to have all my turning done next weekend, and all my sanding and finishing before the following weekend.

I will see what I can accomplish tomorrow.


year 10, Week 14, Day Two (week 536)
(January 17, 2000 was my first carving day.)
04-18-10 Sunday

78 degrees, unbroken clouds, with pregnant puffs sticking below. A constant drizzle all day long. enough to keep you watching the clouds, but not hard enough to not use electrical equipment out in it. The few times the drips got bigger, for the most part, about the time it took to notice it, it took that much more time for it to end. I packed up the lathe and cleaned up that project just before the drips got heavier. the drips became constant and heavier but I was doing stationary work by then. I drove through some really heavy downpours on the way home.
This weather report is brought to you by the City Of Seattle Washington, I mean, The city of Pompano Beach Department Of Tourism.

I one main project for the day. To make some face plates that screwed directly onto the lathe. First I brought out my two by twelve board of yellow pine. I measured and marked for some square boards. I was only going to cut one, but since I had the circular saw there, I cut four pieces out of it, which is essentially half the board.
I then measured and cut one of those boards into quarters on the band saw.
That done, I then had to locate my threader, and then locate a drill the right size. The thread was one by eight. I took a one inch paddle bit and drilled a hole in the board. I then slipped the threader in. The hole was too big. I took another board and drilled with my next drill bit, a three quarter paddle bit. Nope. too small. I found that one of my dremmel grinding bits was slightly larger than the hole, so I used that to grind the inside of the hole. I had to adjust the hole a little before the threader would go in. My first attempt had the threader wobbling and refusing to dig in. In my second attempt, I tried to use the drill press to hold it upright but that attempt was all wrong, so I got it started by hand, and then used a wrench to get it in.
I screwed it onto the lathe and that made the threads even better. I marked a circle and removed the corners, then I mounted the face plate on the lathe and trued it up. I even cut a tenon on the motor side of the face plate. This way I can use the chuck for some things too.
I made a second face plate. I then started making a platter from a ten inch board. This would really be more like a bowl if I made it that way. I did not think about that until I was well along.
The double sided tape decided not to stick, and to roll. I got to where I was trying to fit the second face plate back in the rim of the bottom and I made a slight error. It needed to be a fraction larger. I played around with it a few times, then finally gave up. I can finish it, but not right now.

I put in the new pin for the beer stein, a heavier rod, and because of a measurement error, it broke out the wood just above the rim. I will use some epoxy to fix that. I also added reinforcement for the lid where the lifter attaches. I have some clean up on that to make it look better.

The beast of the back yard acted just like a cat, and wanted to be around us all day long. Late in the day, I did bring out the beast he was once. I did something and he patted my hand about six times in rapid succession. He used no claws, but I got the message not to do that.
I also tried to carry him and he did not like that either. That might have added to his attitude for the afternoon.

Next week, I need to finish some projects and make sure every thing is sanded to a presentable level. I intend to bring some tools into the house this week and sand and then varnish.
next weekend is the last weekend to work on stuff before I visit the antique shop and the water gardens.

I will see what I do next weekend.

No comments: